retake gen chem 1 lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this semester I am taking genetics and retaking my physics I lab.

The only 2 science courses I have remaining from my undergrad college is my physics I and gen chem I lab.

Both are 2 credit hours each and I received a C- in the physics lab and a C in the g.chem I Lab.

If I retake the gchem lab this semester as well I will remove my undergrad science gpa altogether. And remove 2 credit hours from my science gpa at the same time. Giving me a 3.4-3.5 science gpa, I believe. It wouldn't affect my overall gpa that much. Maybe help bring it up to a 2.8 overall?

So to summarize. My spring semester is this: 4 hours of genetics, 3 hours TA'ing a bio course for non science majors, 1 hour physics lab. Taking TPR for april mcat. I am also shadowing a doctor for 3 hours a month at a clinic.

With my retaking of the physics lab I am replacing a 2 hour lab credit with a 1 hour lab credit and removing the C-. If I retake gchem I lab over here. I'll be doing the same thing except removing the C grade I received. Those 2 labs are the only science courses I have that count towards my science gpa for AACOMAS.

Do I put the time and effort into redoing this other lab as well ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Imbebo....

are you sure that your grades of C, and C- will be removed.
I thought that you have to fail a course in order for the grade to
be removed. Possibly a D in a course would be removed if it is in
your major. Make sure you check before you waste the time in those classes.

If I was you, I would take a class you haven't had before and do well in it. ( classes just like the genetics )

I thought AACOMAS would count the repeated course regardless if the previous version was a failing grade or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imbebo is right. AACOM will count the last attempt toward the gpa and not the earlier one as long as it is marked as a repeated course when you are filling in the codes that AACOM gives you to mark the class on your application. You are allowed to repeat the class regardless of the original grade.

so should I retake the lab?

If going to medical school is truly your dream, you need to do whatever possible to improve your application. YOU are the only one who can make this decision. If you think that you will get an A, then by all means, retake the class. You'd be better to retake classes that will have a larger impact on your overall GPA. That is 3-4 unit classes that you got anything equal to or below a C-.

All you are doing here really is improving the GPA. You need to do other things that will improve your overall presentation to the ADCOMS. Join the peace corps, volunteer, WORK! Show some committment. What you need to do is get your GPA above the minimum and wow them in other ways.

Good luck, as always,

Russell

Unless you have a magic wand, those classes and grades will remain on your transcript and must be translated to your application whether you repeat classes or not. Some colleges and universities offer ?grade forgiveness? this however does not apply to the calculation of your GPA for medical school applications. AACOMAS or AMCAS, the application services for both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools, will calculate your GPA based on all your science courses (yes, your correct wannabedoc) and I believe your math courses too.

Here is the skinny. If you have taken a course and passed (no D?s or F?s) don?t bother retaking the class. Take courses that prove that you are serious about being a doctor and Ace them! Really, if you are repeating a course you should get nothing less than an A, I mean you have already taken it once right? Start for the present and press on. If need be, graduate and take hard science post-bacc courses and do very well. There is a separate section for post-bacc work, a new GPA, etc. Masters work is often too easy so medical schools would rather see difficult undergrad or grad science classes. The key here is difficulty. Also, they want to see multiple hours a semester, fifteen or so, to prove that you can handle the ungodly amount of work in medical school.

Further, if all you are doing is 3 hours a month in physicians office you?re really wasting time. You want to show a dedication to the medical field. You need to prove that you?re committed to medicine. Volunteering, shadowing and even working in a hospital, but more than 3 hours a month! Remember this is a competition; there are students out there that have literally thousands of hours in clinical or research time. This shows commitment to a medical life.

I hope this help. I am speaking from experience. It seems hard, but if you really want to be a doctor? I will all pay off in the end. It did for me. Feel free to PM anytime if you want to ask me anything.

Im already doing my post bacc work now. Only had a few science classes at undergrad so almost all of my prereqs were completed in my post bacc studies.

I decided that retaking the lab isn't worth the time. It would be better spent studying for the mcat.