Responsibilities during 3rd and 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onboard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was was wondering, what proficency level do you guys expect a third and fourth year medical student rotating through Ophthalmology to have especially the ones who are planning on going to Ophthalmology. Since ophtho exam is very different from all other specialties it is hard to have a any expertise during the first few months. I just rotated through Ophtho as a third year and had very little contribution if any for patient care and most of the time was spent watching the resident/attending do the exam and occasionally looking through the slit lamp for pathologies.
1. What should I do to buff up for the 4th year selective and look more intelligent?
2. With soo much hands-off experience in medical school, what can I do to make sure if I like Ophtho enough to pursue it as a career. Thanks for help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I recommend:

1) Read http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...5654?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

2) Ask the attending if you may work up patients. Clarify if you're able to see new or return patients.

3) What do you need to do to learn the examination? See more patients and practice. If you miss something, then you'll learn when the resident or faculty pulls you back into the room.

4) Be proactive but not overly cumbersome. Interested but not abrasive. Be a teamplayer.

5) If research interests you, then help with a small research project.

Good luck! :thumbup: