Ophthalmology and Back Pain During Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgicalTechUtahMan

EyeGuy
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do young ophthalmologists experience back pain during surgery, and are there strategies anybody uses to avoid/alleviate such pain? I seem to get pain mid-thoracic after about an hour of surgeries, but I'm still in training, so don't know if this is just stress related or from poor posture.

Members don't see this ad.

So can’t say for sure but here is a good link about proper posture at the surgical microscope. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Sadly ophthalmologists have a high rate of back related issues especially cervical spine due to poor posture at the slit lamp and during surgery. Read up on posture and ergonomics for ophthalmologists. You're career will last longer and be more enjoyable

Focus on ergonomics as mentioned above and work out: in particular, focus on neck, shoulder and back exercises, did wonders for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
How often do young ophthalmologists experience back pain during surgery, and are there strategies anybody uses to avoid/alleviate such pain? I seem to get pain mid-thoracic after about an hour of surgeries, but I'm still in training, so don't know if this is just stress related or from poor posture.

I agree with working out. Don't neglect face pulls!

I also think part of it may naturally improve once you're done training. I always felt like I was contorting to the position of the attending (during plastics cases this really was MISERABLE). Now that I control the bed height, scope position, etc, it is much better. Except for super-morbidly obese patients. Sometimes I'm displaced and have to operate superotemporally because there's no room temporally. I'm guaranteed pain after those cases.

What are your thoughts on back/neck pain and disability insurance? I’ve heard things like you never want to mention the pain even to a PCP because then your rates skyrocket. Does this hold true with any neck/back pain?

So can’t say for sure but here is a good link about proper posture at the surgical microscope. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply! This really helps to understand how to set up for best ergonomics.

I also had pain after operating all day. I found that adjusting the chair was very important. Make sure it locks and lock it once you are seated. I found that having the back rest all the way forward and 1/3 up was perfect. It would push against my back when I was seated and proved me with a sweet spot of lumbar support.