Respiration on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDk

Yes, that's my wife!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding respiration, is there much of it on the DAT?

Thanks,

2thDk

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there is a lot of respiration on the DAT, as it is one area where you can ask a lot of questions. First you need to know where respiration is occuring with regards to eukaryotes or prokaryotes. Then you need to ask yourself if oxygen is present. Both of those questions can help narrow your "search" down. Once you know where the respiration is occuring and if oxygen is present, now it's time to get down to the important intermediates---I stress the word IMPORTANT (you should know the important ones if asked about them. For example, G3P. Know these terms--I won't define them as you should look them up to help you study.

1)cytoplasm
2)chloroplast
3)chlorophyll
4)Thalykaloid (sp.) membrane
5)mitochondria
6)inner-mitochondrial membrane
7)electron transport chain
8)cytochromes
9) ATP
10)NADH
11)NAD+
12)FADH2
13)FAD+
14)Mitochondrial martix
15)substrate level phosphorlyasation (sp.):p
16)chemiosmosis
17)electromotive force
18)ATP synthase
19)PGAL
20)RuBP
21)Calvin cycle
22)Gylcolysis
23)fermentation
24)38 net ATP
25)36 net ATP
24) and 25) refer to prokaryotes and eukaryotes and the need for two initial ATPs to get electrons of the NADH, formed from glycolysis, across the mitochondrial membrane
26)GTP
27)final electron acceptor
28)where does oxygen come from in photosynthesis: H20 or CO2? Look that up.
29)How many PGALs are formed in each turn of the calvin cycle?
30)How many turns of the Calvin cycle does it take to make one molecule of glucose?
31)What happens to the majority of the PGAL formed in the calvin cycle? (think RuBP)
32)ethanol
33)lactic acid
34)fermentaion in bacteria vs. humans? (Look at 32) and 33) above)
35)Krebs cycle
36)Citric acid cycle
37)VERY IMPORTANT: How many ATPs are actually yielded from the Krebs Cycle via NADH and FADH2
38)How many ATPs are produced for every NADH?
39)How many ATPs are produced for every FADH2
40)How many ATPs are produced (those that make it to the electron transport chain) for the NADHs of glycolysis--the one that contribute to the phosphorylization step?
41)stroma
42)Light reactions
43)Dark reactions
44)cyclic reactions
45)Non-cyclic reactions
46)Excited states (think of C-700 etc.)
47)What is the purpose of fermentation? What is being recycled and why? (Think NAD+)

This should give you a basic base-line of what important areas to focus on when studying cellular respiration. Also be sure to look at invertebrate respiration and important structures used, and methods of respiration. For example, the earth worm exchanges gasses through its skin, etc.

Hope this helps!:)
-Richard

Richard,

Wow, Thanks! I'm sure this list will help! I'm planning on taking the DAT on August 20. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all of the info,
Mike