Can't learn respiration for some reason.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoomerSooner-ang

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am studying fro the biology section of the DAT, and so far everything has been pretty straightforward and easy to learn, but for some reason i simply cannot learn cellular respiration. I have tried several times but it just doesn't click for me and now i am at a loss for what to do going forward.

Can i simply try to learn the products of each round and that would be enough for the DAT? Should i just cut my losses and focus on the other portions of Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I took it the first time, they literally asked two questions about it: if glucose was oxidized or reduced. I'd say look at Bozeman Science videos or Crash Courses on it. You'll get it if you understand that it's probably the cell's most efficient way of harvesting energy and then understand the smaller steps: glycolysis, Krebs cycle, and the electron transport chain. Then break down each of those steps into smaller ones. When you're done, put them together. Concept mapping helped me get it! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above posters. Try to find a video to help you learn the general concept/foundation and then work your way in fine-tuning some of the details. To be honest, the most complex question you are probably going to get is how many ATP will this molecule produces?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for all of the responses.

Typically i am a rather quick learner, but for this subject i have tried reading and tried videos, but it just doesn't click. I think i will give the videos you suggested one more time, but after that i'll just cut my losses and move on.

Thanks!

For cell resp. you pretty much just need to know what is and how many molecules are consumed and produced during 1. glycolysis 2. Krebs cycle 3. Electron transport chain.

Also remember that glycolysis occurs in the cytosol, Krebs cycle in the mitochondrial matrix, and ETC in the inner mitochondrial membrane.

It's pretty much memorization. But watching those videos should help you conceptualize it better.