Residents going to conventions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melancholy

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be a semi-shortcut way of getting information about multiple programs at once, but at your respective programs:

- How is it decided which residents get to go to conventions like the AAPMR in Philly this year? (Aside from residents that are speaking i.e. Dave Russo and/or residents presenting papers/research/posters)

- Which of you folks will be headed over to Philly in Oct?

- Seeing the recent post regarding the AAPMR program for medical students, I was wondering if there had been similiar such programs in the past. I was also curious how much of a networking opportunity this will realistically be. It reads:

"Medical student mentors from AAPM&R and residency program directors will also be available to answer questions and to connect with students following the program. "

- Ahh.. and if any medical students are reading this, are any of you planning on going?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a medical student planning on going, can't answer any of your other questions though, sorry.

I am planning on attending, additionally most of the PGY-3 and PGY-4 residents are also going.

Members don't see this ad :)
mehul_25 said:
I am planning on attending, additionally most of the PGY-3 and PGY-4 residents are also going.

Hey mehul_25 - Small world. I happened to be showing my resident what the PM&R forums on SDN were all about today and she recognized your name. Jen Cholis says hi!

melancholy said:
Hey mehul_25 - Small world. I happened to be showing my resident what the PM&R forums on SDN were all about today and she recognized your name. Jen Cholis says hi!
tell Jen I said hello and ask her what she is doing these days...

As for networking, don't expect too much. The speakers are shuttled around from talk to talk and usually have to stand around answering questions from a crowd of people. Most go to make a mini vacation out of it, so they duck out of conferences whenever they can.
The conferences I went to as a med student were mostly to get food and booze and goodies - and something about presenting posters on my publications. I occasionally ran into some important people. Never seemed like the right place to say "ooo I love your program, it'll be #1 on my rank list."

melancholy said:
I know this may be a semi-shortcut way of getting information about multiple programs at once, but at your respective programs:

- How is it decided which residents get to go to conventions like the AAPMR in Philly this year? (Aside from residents that are speaking i.e. Dave Russo and/or residents presenting papers/research/posters)

- Which of you folks will be headed over to Philly in Oct?

- Seeing the recent post regarding the AAPMR program for medical students, I was wondering if there had been similiar such programs in the past. I was also curious how much of a networking opportunity this will realistically be. It reads:

"Medical student mentors from AAPM&R and residency program directors will also be available to answer questions and to connect with students following the program. "

- Ahh.. and if any medical students are reading this, are any of you planning on going?

Hi Melancholy,
I'm an MSIV and I'll be going. I have a couple things to present, and when I heard about the med student thing I thought I should go to that as well. Nobody from my school is going into PM&R this year besides me so it should be a good time to meet some other interested med students. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there!
S