Residency Survival tips for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rameses

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am actually an IMG , just started my peds residency in a very good program.
I know my clinical knowledge is fairly good as any American graduate and I really make sure I do my homework, my upper levels are fine with my work, and yet I am concerned about my overall performance as a resident... During my interview trail, some top programs didn't call me simply becoz I am an IMG inspite of my good credentials. I just would like to see some views on what exactly are the cons of having an IMG as a resident, so that I can work on them and be a good resident..I really would like it if anyone would share their thoughts on the subject...Even "politically incorrect" opinions are welcome. Thanks a lot...

Members don't see this ad.

i am no one to comment on this as i am still going to apply for a residency program. i have few friends who are currently in residency program and some who has recently completed.i can tell you this much. if you think your clinical knowledge is good enough and you are hardworking resident and you dont have communication problem with either patient or attendings then you will not have a problem. will you be still seen as IMG? answer is yes i guess.you will have to work that bit harder as we have to compete with US grads in getting good residency program. and i think its fair too. As we are coming from unknown clinical and academic background, we will be scrutinized that harder. fairgame. so in summary do a little more then you would in your country to be better resident. there are many examples who have done it. and you know what? once you have done residency, you might get fellowship at same programs which refused you because you were img as now you have porven yourself.i may be way off. any corrections welcome. by the way where you matched? can i PM YOU?