Residency Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krs12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a fourth year medical student I'm currently interviewing for IM programs. I am certain that I want to apply for GI in the future. I know its important to go to a university program and to find programs with GI fellowships. My question is, which is more important?

After ranking those programs that are major university hospitals with GI fellowships, should I then rank those university programs without, or larger community programs WITH fellowships in the hope that they'll take their own residents?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I would say community programs with GI doctors there. You're going to need letters from somewhere.

If you're serious about GI fellowship, rank the biggest name university programs that you can. During the interview process, I found that residency program is a tremendous factor in being selected for an interview and then weighs equally as heavy during when fellowships make their rank list.

Then rank the programs with a GI fellowship. Make sure you look at the GI faculty and do residency where there are known reputable gastroenterologists. I was very surprised to see how much a phone call from gastroenterologist to gastroenterologist goes a long way.