GI program ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIdude2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, resident interviewing for fellowship this year

Looking for some advice on the programs

obviously I am attending the interviews and will have opinions of my own,

But I am hoping for some outside input on the following programs:

--------------------------
Baylor College of Medicine Houston
Chicago Northshore
Cincinnati
Houston Methodist
LSU
Methodist Dallas
University of Miami Jackson
Ochsner
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Southern Alabama
Alabama Birmingham
University of Florida
Wash U St. Louis
--------------------------------

How would you rank the following programs in your mind and why?

Does anyone have some experiences for the above programs that they would be willing to share (I have read the interview experiences thread)

I have a possible interest in advanced endoscopy. Particularly I hope in the future to be a leader in endoscopic bariatric procedures.

More cush private hospitals?:
Ochsner
Methodist houston and dallas
Chicago Northshore

Nice balance of smaller academic program with some private experience?:
LSU
Cincinnati
Oklahoma
Southern Alabama
Oregon

Academic prestige?:
wash U
University of Florida
UAB
BCM
University of Miami
Ohio state

Should I pick a more academic program and pursue an advanced endoscopy fellowship? (I have heard this is getting competitive)

or Should I choose one of the smaller more private programs where fellows will get more scopes, and possibly not even need an advanced endoscopy fellowship unless I want EUS?

Should I bother pursuing an advanced endoscopy fellowship if one of my goals is eventual minimally invasive bariatric procedures?

Thanks for any help and input. These decisions are no small thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should I pick a more academic program and pursue an advanced endoscopy fellowship? (I have heard this is getting competitive)

or Should I choose one of the smaller more private programs where fellows will get more scopes, and possibly not even need an advanced endoscopy fellowship unless I want EUS?

Should I bother pursuing an advanced endoscopy fellowship if one of my goals is eventual minimally invasive bariatric procedures?

Thanks for any help and input. These decisions are no small thing.

I doubt you will get a good answer to all those specific programs. But I can give you some general advice on the above.

What do you want to do in the bariatric world? Outlet revisions and Orbera? Most anyone can do those with an ASGE STAR course and some effort. Apollo will train you once you buy 10 balloons.

If you are talking endoscopic sleeves, that is a super niche procedure that only the Chris Thompsons of the world are training/doing.

Last edited: