Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarquetteGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information pertaining to the residency at Thorek hospital in Chicago? Any info about whether it's a well-known residency, competitiveness, number of applicants would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thorek is actually in a transition right now and to my knowledge, is neither well known or competitive. I think all that is about to change though. It is converting from a PM&S-24 to a PM&S-36. Also, the Weil Institute is taking over the program. For those of you who are new to podiatry, if you have not yet heard that name, you will soon. Anyway, within a matter of years, it should be an extremely strong residency. Jr came to DMU (Ilizarob was all buddy, buddy with him) and said that they are committed to making it one of the top programs in the nation.

jonwill,
Being in Chicago, does this hurt a DMU student from competing with this residency as compared to a Scholl student? Does that come into play at all? What suggestions would you pass along to a fellow DMU'er who is interested in this residency program in a few years (I'm a first-year currently)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thorek is actually in a transition right now and to my knowledge, is neither well known or competitive. I think all that is about to change though. It is converting from a PM&S-24 to a PM&S-36. Also, the Weil Institute is taking over the program. For those of you who are new to podiatry, if you have not yet heard that name, you will soon. Anyway, within a matter of years, it should be an extremely strong residency. Jr came to DMU (Ilizarob was all buddy, buddy with him) and said that they are committed to making it one of the top programs in the nation.

I live close to the Weil Foot and Ankle Institute off of Golf Rd. I drive past it everyday on my way to school. Is this a well known residency? I have seen them at Scholl talking with some of the perspective externship students.

I was actually going to try to set up some DPM mentoring with them this week. I would like to set up some long term shadowing relationships in the area. Is that the same Weil that you are talking about?

jonwill,
Being in Chicago, does this hurt a DMU student from competing with this residency as compared to a Scholl student? Does that come into play at all? What suggestions would you pass along to a fellow DMU'er who is interested in this residency program in a few years (I'm a first-year currently)?

There is no residency at the Weil Institute but as I said, they are taking over the residency at Thorek Hospital. They do have a fellowship at the Weil Institute.

As far as favoring Scholl students at the Chicago programs, I would doubt it for the most part. Most externship/residency programs don't really care where you are from. Programs are more concerned with:
1) Can they get along with you (potentially for 3 years)
2) work ethic
3) Clinical skills

Now, some schools obviously have a better reputation than others. And there is the occasional program that prefers students from a school but for the most part, you will be judged on who you are and not where you are from.

I recently finished an externship at Thorek. It was a really good rotation. The new Residency Director of Thorek is Dr. James Lawton. He is very nice and extremely knowledgable.

Dr. Lowell Weil Sr. is actually the Chief of Podiatry at Thorek. The residents rotate in the Weil Clinic at the hospital and also at Weil's Surgery Center. So, to me it seems to be that its a joint venture. They still are calling it the Thorek program but are attaching the Weil name to it from what I understand.

I know that when I was there, there had been a student from Ohio on externship. Also, their second year resident is from DMU.

If you are interested in the program you should contact Dr. Baker who is in charge of matters relating to students.