Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i like the portuguese. The one thing about IWC though is that their watches are quite big for me since i have small wrists. I'm not sure what the sizes of the L&S are, but i've yet to encounter an IWC that's less than 40mm, and since i have small wrists i can't pull it off. also, if you've seen the portuguese 7 day (which is an amazing power reserve) it is thick as hell.
Outch. Yeah, there are a couple L&S at ~35 mm, but the best ones are all 40+

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think about navy colored suits? too flashy?

i'm going to get one this weekend and can't decide if i want navy or gray lol

I gotgot
what do you guys think about navy colored suits? too flashy?

i'm going to get one this weekend and can't decide if i want navy or gray lol

I got blue bc It describes my mood perfectly

Members don't see this ad :)
I will admit that when I see the super wide and loosely tied (ie no dimple) knot -- my immediate gut reaction is "douche". So I don't know that I agree. But I'm rather judgmental...
My immediate reaction is the person doesn't know how to properly tie a tie.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here, for what it's worth. I see this kind of thing regularly, and the message it sends is similar to the guy wearing a black sack suit 3 sizes too big - "this is my first time dressing like a big boy and I have no idea what I'm doing."

bigstockphoto_detail_of_a_suit_and_a_tie_3089043-s600x600.jpg

The difference is that by this point (medical school/residency), most guys have had to don a tie for many occasions, likely since adolescence. They've probably had over a decade to learn how to tie a reasonably nice knot, and still couldn't be bothered to figure it out yet.
That tie fits his hair - totally unkempt.

Don't remember who it was.
Maybe Cartier
A few years ago that released this india inspired watch. Holy mother of god was it gorgeous
Pink and red and green and diamonds and gold and like obnoxious as ****
Exactly my style :D

know what watches are ugly as hell? those stupid cartier tank watches that everyone has

and every brietling known to mankind

Man, this thread is harsh. Albeit I agree with a lot of it. But it seems that this thread should be less about the ultimate dress code but what NOT to do. I'll wave my white flag for the black suit argument only to emphasize that I would only impress the idea that you should have one suit that rocks. The tie should be conservative only because I've seen some of the looks people give when seeing fashionable (and nice) ties. I'd even say paisley ties can be bad. If you don't know how to tie a knot... Ask someone to show you.

Also, Omega makes damn good watches. Especially for a luxury watch. It doesn't flash but looks distinct.

My question is about tie colors. What's too flashy? I've been comfortable with picking ties out and been complimented on them. But I know that certain styles and colors have the potential of ruining an interview. I'm staying away from pink only because I've had bad luck with red/pink items with certain people.

Also: Argyle socks.

Apparently you guys like leather bands on your watches...
Never liked em. Mine only gets noticed by a select few, which is what I like. It doesn't attract attention that people would steal it but people still remark about how nice it is.

If you really want attention: diesel is where it's at.

Members don't see this ad :)
seeing old people discussing luxury watches like they are some technical hardware wonder makes me puke. This is the 21 century ffs.
best watch ever:
img_30041.jpg

All these watches with the blue hands are so pretty, any suggestions for ones priced more for students (i.e. <500 lol)

know what watches are ugly as hell? those stupid cartier tank watches that everyone has
and every brietling known to mankind

I love how you complain that everyone has Cartier Tanks and then in the next post, recommend an Omega Seamaster.

It's like whining that pizza is too common, and you should instead buy a rare and exotic hamburger.

I love how you complain that everyone has Cartier Tanks and then in the next post, recommend an Omega Seamaster.

It's like whining that pizza is too common, and you should instead buy a rare and exotic hamburger.

I said something that looks like that, and I've seen way more Cartier tank watches and really bad knockoffs of Cartier tank watches than anything omega

I said something that looks like that, and I've seen way more Cartier tank watches and really bad knockoffs of Cartier tank watches than anything omega

I think getting a less common watch that still looks beautiful is way better than getting a standard water-activity watch. Stuff like this:

http://www.fototime.com/13C908DCC95BD56/orig.jpg
http://thehorologium.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/seagull1963reissue6.jpg
http://www.tissot.ch/imageslib/cache/2010/jpg/lightbox_TISSOT_VISODATE_T019_430_16_031_01_MT_jpg.png
http://thewatchlounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Muhle_TeutoniaBD2L.jpg

You want something that looks like this. Doesn't have to be the same brand..

View attachment 186481

That's fine as a casual watch, but a metal band is just that, casual.

A leather watch band is considered more formal, and appropriate for wearing with a suit.

That said, this is one of the rules that won't break you if you break it. Most interviewers probably won't notice the "error."

But since anyone reading an SDN thread on interview attire/accessories is not "most interviewees", you should know better. As usual, if your goal is to do things correctly, leather band it is.

You want something that looks like this. Doesn't have to be the same brand..

View attachment 186481
I actually prefer a leather band, never cared too much for metal bands

And I like the blue!! Although not disagreeing in saying that watch has too much blue, I just really like the more subtle blue in the watches posted above and want something like that.

I actually prefer a leather band, never cared too much for metal bands

And I like the blue!! Although not disagreeing in saying that watch has too much blue, I just really like the more subtle blue in the watches posted above and want something like that.

Your best bet is to go to like a Nordstrom type place, check out styles and colors IRL, and see what this stuff actually looks like in person. I've seen non-plaid covered leather banded burberry watches that looked nice that are less than 500$.

Your best bet is to go to like a Nordstrom type place, check out styles and colors IRL, and see what this stuff actually looks like in person. I've seen non-plaid covered leather banded burberry watches that looked nice that are less than 500$.
Why do people like leather banded watches again?

Why do people like leather banded watches again?
I feel the same way about metal bands tbh

I mean I don't think its ridiculous that people buy metal bands, I just don't have any desire to have one

I feel the same way about metal bands tbh

I mean I don't think its ridiculous that people buy metal bands, I just don't have any desire to have one
I guess if you're going for the older, distinguished gentleman look then it makes sense.

first post, interviews starting i started looking for proper residency interview attire and came across this thread. wow a bunch of beautiful watches in this topic

i really like the IWC portuguese, but its far too expensive for me. found this knockoff that I may have to at least try out lol

http://www.parniswatch.net/syssite/home/shop/1/pictures/productsimg/big/1316_20140620231813_2.JPG

Check out Stowa: https://www.stowa.de/lshop,shopstart,141434116415414,en,1414341176-15533,,,,,.htm

You can get one used too: http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=stowa

yeah very reasonably priced as well

i wonder what the quality is on this brand

It's Chinese made with a Seagull ST63 movement. Durable and probably the best Chinese automatic movement made to date. You can expect +/- 15-20 seconds per day, which is very reasonable for a mechanical watch of that price point.

The watch itself has a long history as it was issued to Chinese pilots in the '60s.

yeah very reasonably priced as well

i wonder what the quality is on this brand

sea-gull is a chinese company who builds movements and watches (for instance, the parnis listed above likely has a sea-gull movement). i hear the 1963 has some reliability issues, but it's still a fantastic price for a mechanical chronograph.