Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RM052_Skull_CU2_460.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people like leather banded watches again?

Metal bands are made for sport/dive watches, are not suited for a formal interview.

Plus you can swap out leather bands - crocodile, sharkskin, etc of different colors.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a good one for a physician.
I would love this one.

RM052_Skull_460.jpg

Not for everyone though.

I liked the spring drive snow flake that you posted a while back. the skull in this watch is crude but at the same time it is so refined; it makes me confused.

Trying to decide between the $300 seagull 1963 or the $100 parnis (IWC Portuguese inspired)

the cheap student in me wants the latter, especially because the seagull has a good amount of busy lettering on the dial

Trying to decide between the $300 seagull 1963 or the $100 parnis (IWC Portuguese inspired)

the cheap student in me wants the latter, especially because the seagull has a good amount of busy lettering on the dial

get the seagull.

The only people who should wear Richard Mille, real or knockoff, are rappers and dictators of small third world countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
orient symphony or bambino may be a good alternative for a mechanical

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_ER24005W_Dress_Watch_p/er24005w.htm

Citizen looks better. It may be quartz, but that doesn't automatically mean it's bad. Cheap mechanicals aren't always worth it. Miyota/Seagull movements are +/- 25ish seconds per day, and the average person doesn't want to have to fix the time every week.

Also, the Citizen is way thinner, which is more appropriate for a dress watch.

Citizen looks better. It may be quartz, but that doesn't automatically mean it's bad. Cheap mechanicals aren't always worth it. Miyota/Seagull movements are +/- 25ish seconds per day, and the average person doesn't want to have to fix the time every week.

Also, the Citizen is way thinner, which is more appropriate for a dress watch.

matter of opinion, the domed crystal on the orient looks more classic, IMO. I'm not sure where you're getting that number that miyota and seagull movements are +/-25 seconds per day because I have not heard that. Orient is known for being an excellent company with a long history. I've heard nothing but good things.

matter of opinion, the domed crystal on the orient looks more classic, IMO. I'm not sure where you're getting that number that miyota and seagull movements are +/-25 seconds per day because I have not heard that. Orient is known for being an excellent company with a long history. I've heard nothing but good things.

I have several watches with Miyota and Seagull movements - it's my personal experience. I have found other people with those movements generally agree, but I'm sure there's variability watch to watch.

Also, 25 seconds for a mechanical watch of that pricepoint isn't bad. I wasn't talking crap on Orient. They are certainly legit and make decent watches. High end mechanical watches generally top out at 5-10 seconds per day.

I have several watches with Miyota and Seagull movements - it's my personal experience. I have found other people with those movements generally agree, but I'm sure there's variability watch to watch.

Also, 25 seconds for a mechanical watch of that pricepoint isn't bad. I wasn't talking crap on Orient. They are certainly legit and make decent watches. High end mechanical watches generally top out at 5-10 seconds per day.

i didn't say you were talking crap. 25 seconds per day is pretty bad and at the limits of what I would call acceptable for a mechanical watch. honestly, i would return a watch that ran that inaccurately. personally, i find it much more enjoyable to wear a mechanical watch, but pragmatically a quartz (especially an eco-drive that recharges the battery) is obviously the clear winner. i was just offering an alternative, i wasn't implying the citizen is a bad choice or disparaging your taste for watches.

Think I will get points for being a trend setter and wearing an Apple Watch to interviews?

That's fine as a casual watch, but a metal band is just that, casual.

A leather watch band is considered more formal, and appropriate for wearing with a suit.

That said, this is one of the rules that won't break you if you break it. Most interviewers probably won't notice the "error."

But since anyone reading an SDN thread on interview attire/accessories is not "most interviewees", you should know better. As usual, if your goal is to do things correctly, leather band it is.

I'll take metal over leather. If you like leather, fine, but to say it's an error to wear a non-leather watch to an interview is ridiculous. If we go that far, I'll start recommending proper vehicles to drive as well. And, yes, that Toyota/Honda won't cut it. You need something with at least 8 cylinders and leather with a 0-60 time of under 4.5 seconds. You can do otherwise, but it's not really appropriate for someone going into the medical field to drive anything less than spectacular.

I'll take metal over leather. If you like leather, fine, but to say it's an error to wear a non-leather watch to an interview is ridiculous. If we go that far, I'll start recommending proper vehicles to drive as well. And, yes, that Toyota/Honda won't cut it. You need something with at least 8 cylinders and leather with a 0-60 time of under 4.5 seconds. You can do otherwise, but it's not really appropriate for someone going into the medical field to drive anything less than spectacular.

Nah, he's right. Leather is more appropriate for a formal occasion. It's not a big deal, certainly not make-or-break, but there's a right and a wrong here, just like wearing a charcoal or navy suit is better than wearing a black one.

But then again, this is medicine. I've had attendings who wore fur-lined Crocs with a tie in the office, so there's probably plenty of people who are doing interviews that don't know the "rules."

Reactions: 1 users

Most people can't do the " I wear whatever I want and look professional and well put together(and so pretty) all the time" thing that you do so well, darling ;)

Most people can't do the " I wear whatever I want and look professional and well put together(and so pretty) all the time" thing that you do so well, darling ;)

Yeah, pretty much only girls can pull that off. Every time we have a hospital session, the girls in our group wear their normal clothes with a white coat on top. Guys have to wear a shirt and tie.

Yeah, pretty much only girls can pull that off. Every time we have a hospital session, the girls in our group wear their normal clothes with a white coat on top. Guys have to wear a shirt and tie.

Yeah, I wore stuff that I probably shouldn't have all through dental school and even now in the hospital, I'm sure if a guy tried to do it, it wouldn't work. Oh well. Unbutton a few more buttons on the white coat, extra bright lipstick, high heels, major mascara for necessary eyelash fluttering --> voila

I'll take metal over leather. If you like leather, fine, but to say it's an error to wear a non-leather watch to an interview is ridiculous.

No it's not.

It's ok to admit you're wrong.

Leather = formal
Metal = casual/sporty

These aren't rules I came up with. You can argue the purpose and whatnot of these rules, but they are commonly accepted among men's attire and have been for a long time. To shout otherwise is to loudly proclaim your ignorance (which is fine, but don't pretend it's something more noble).

And since I have to trot this caveat out every few pages on this thread . . . this is not the kind of thing that will get you dinged by most people, so if your goal is to achieve the bare minimum of acceptable, then feel free to wear a metal watch. But the purpose of these threads is education, and learning what the 'proper' way to do things are.

No it's not.

Leather = formal
Metal = casual/sporty

These aren't rules I came up with. You can argue the purpose and whatnot of these rules, but they are commonly accepted among men's attire and have been for a long time. To shout otherwise is to loudly proclaim your ignorance (which is fine, but don't pretend it's something more noble).

And since I have to trot this caveat out every few pages on this thread . . . this is not the kind of thing that will get you dinged by most people, so if your goal is to achieve the bare minimum of acceptable, then feel free to wear a metal watch. But the purpose of these threads is education, and learning what the 'proper' way to do things are.

I generally agree with you, but that's not true any more. While I would recommend following it on the off chance some interviewer does note it negatively, in this day and age, it's totally acceptable with some caveats. The watch must be a nice, understated watch. Something like a Rolex Datejust that while sporty, is still relatively refined.

It used to be true that wearing a metal band meant 'never for business attire', but it's the 2010's man. There's a reason they are called 'desk divers'. If I were going to a fancy dinner with formal wear required, I would not hesitate for an instant to wear an appropriate watch with a metal band.

Wearing a flashy watch, especially with a metal band, would be absolutely frowned on.

Basically, nothing bright pink and covered in diamonds. SAD

It is pretty amusing to watch female interviewees who decided that the day of their interview was the best day to break in their new super high heels, try to walk around and not looking like awkward flamingos. Or like they're in a lot of pain. That's my second favorite after the bow tie faux pas I've been seeing a lot of.

I generally agree with you, but that's not true any more. While I would recommend following it on the off chance some interviewer does note it negatively, in this day and age, it's totally acceptable with some caveats. The watch must be a nice, understated watch. Something like a Rolex Datejust that while sporty, is still relatively refined.

It used to be true that wearing a metal band meant 'never for business attire', but it's the 2010's man. There's a reason they are called 'desk divers'. If I were going to a fancy dinner with formal wear required, I would not hesitate for an instant to wear an appropriate watch with a metal band.

Wearing a flashy watch, especially with a metal band, would be absolutely frowned on.

Yes, that may be true of today's society but I would say that is because people have become less in touch with proper/formal male fashion. Just because it is acceptable does not mean it is right. If you wear a suit with a metal band or a leather band, you will always look better with the leather band.

Yes, that may be true of today's society but I would say that is because people have become less in touch with proper/formal male fashion. Just because it is acceptable does not mean it is right. If you wear a suit with a metal band or a leather band, you will always look better with the leather band.

Bingo. Ridiculously skinny lapels and short jackets are in style now (c'mon man, it's the 2010s!) but thankfully the pendulum is starting to head the other direction. Just because convention is being ignored by young people doesn't make it right.

No it's not.

Leather = formal
Metal = casual/sporty

I know this guy looks like a total fool wearing a metal band on his watch:

Agreed, wearing a metal band watch with a tuxedo is super tacky.
I was being sarcastic. Obviously, it looks great. It's not like he's wearing a Timex Ironman watch.
img56549919.jpg

Last edited:
I think there are way bigger problems amongst the interviewees in terms of fashion mistakes, than a watch band. How many poorly tailored ill fitting suits have you seen? Coz I have minimal exposure to them and I see TONS. Along w aforementioned high heel issues.

I think there are way bigger problems amongst the interviewees in terms of fashion mistakes, than a watch band. How many poorly tailored ill fitting suits have you seen? Coz I have minimal exposure to them and I see TONS. Along w aforementioned high heel issues.
I agree. The metal band vs. leather band, seems more like a Miss Manners/Ann Landers type complaint than an actual faux pas.

I was being sarcastic

Really??

I'm actually a little surprised at how few guys actually know that a leather band watch is that considered more formal than metal bands. I have plenty of friends who make the same mistake and assume that metal equals formal.

Again, as I've said, this is one of the less egregious mistakes that people make on the interview trail, and for most of you it may not be worth running out to get a new watch. Hell, these days half of the kids refuse to wear watches anyway. But, just like peak or shawl lapels on a tuxedo or wearing balmiral shoes with a suit, it is proper to wear a leather band watch with a suit or tuxedo in a relatively formal setting such as an interview.

Really??

I'm actually a little surprised at how few guys actually know that a leather band watch is that considered more formal than metal bands.
I have plenty of friends who make the same mistake and assume that metal equals formal.

Again, as I've said, this is one of the less egregious mistakes that people make on the interview trail, and for most of you it may not be worth running out to get a new watch. Hell, these days half of the kids refuse to wear watches anyway. But, just like peak or shawl lapels on a tuxedo or wearing balmiral shoes with a suit, it is proper to wear a leather band watch with a suit or tuxedo in a relatively formal setting such as an interview.
Maybe bc they guys you're asking about fashion faux pas from are in their 60s-70s, drinking cognac and smoking cigars?

Edit: Wait, balmoral shoes are bad too? Good grief.

Edit: Wait, balmoral shoes are bad too? Good grief.

No, the opposite. I'm saying they are proper. As are peaked/shawl lapels on tuxedos. But that doesn't stop the majority of people from mistakenly wearing bluchers with suits or notch lapels on tuxes.

No, the opposite. I'm saying they are proper. As are peaked/shawl lapels on tuxedos. But that doesn't stop the majority of people from mistakenly wearing bluchers with suits or notch lapels on tuxes.
And what is specifically wrong with wearing notch lapels on tuxes or bluchers with suits?
shawl-collar-peak-lapel-notch-lapel.jpg

20120917-223302.jpg