residency in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Need some motvations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do cardiothoracic surgery residency in UK. I am non eu citizen. I know before doing CT residency I need to do general surgery training. All I want to know, if I do GS training in Germany, complete MRCS by this time, can I enter directly into cardiothoracic residency in UK? what are my chances and how i can just increase my chances

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not, CT surgery is going to be very competitive in the UK, a lot of UK grads won't even get spots I don't think they will consider you. If you have EU citizenship though there might be a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm curious why you want to do residencies in EU...

From the migration trends i'm guessing he is from India. Don't know exactly whats going on there but there could be a rush to get out of India either permanently or for further training.

Yeah, kind of trying to move out from my country. But, haven't got any IMG friendly country yet. :-/

Hello, can I get some information about UK residency. I'm studying medicine in non-EU country, but on english programme, and also I have EU citizenship. I'm interested if I can apply and how for residency in UK regarding my non-EU diploma, if it is going to be more difficult if i would have EU diploma, because I can still transfer to medical school in Europe. I know there are a lot of informations on internet, but i would like to get some concrete answers. Thank you in advance.

Hello, can I get some information about UK residency. I'm studying medicine in non-EU country, but on english programme, and also I have EU citizenship. I'm interested if I can apply and how for residency in UK regarding my non-EU diploma, if it is going to be more difficult if i would have EU diploma, because I can still transfer to medical school in Europe. I know there are a lot of informations on internet, but i would like to get some concrete answers. Thank you in advance.

I think you need to write the PLAB. Then you'll need to apply for Foundation year programs, I'm pretty sure you are eligible.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home

This is the main website, everything is on here ^. Navigate through it for everything you need to do. There is also the SJT you will need to write after your PLAB.

I think you need to write the PLAB. Then you'll need to apply for Foundation year programs, I'm pretty sure you are eligible.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home

This is the main website, everything is on here ^. Navigate through it for everything you need to do. There is also the SJT you will need to write after your PLAB.

Thank you :) So, do you recommend to me to transfer on EU medical school and study in native language, or to stay on NON-EU medical school and to study on english programme?

Thank you :) So, do you recommend to me to transfer on EU medical school and study in native language, or to stay on NON-EU medical school and to study on english programme?

I'm not sure. All I know is that you are eligible but I don't know if they prefer EU to non-EU. If you do the non English programme I think you'll need to prove your English capabilities.

I guess you'd be a better UK doc if you went to the English programme though because you'll be learning all your medical terms in English.

I'm not sure. All I know is that you are eligible but I don't know if they prefer EU to non-EU. If you do the non English programme I think you'll need to prove your English capabilities.

I guess you'd be a better UK doc if you went to the English programme though because you'll be learning all your medical terms in English.

Ok,since I'm a EU citizen, I can get my medical diploma in non-EU country and hopefully get residency in UK without any large problems..? This is my best option I guess...

Ok,since I'm a EU citizen, I can get my medical diploma in non-EU country and hopefully get residency in UK without any large problems..? This is my best option I guess...

I think so. You are probably better off asking classmates who've done the same and also asking the foundation programme etc. I'm pretty sure people do get in but i'm not sure how easy it is. There aren't too many non- UK grads in foundation programmes and normally you would expect more. Maybe there is a restriction I don't know about.

Best thing to do is to ask a friend who's done the same.

I think so. You are probably better off asking classmates who've done the same and also asking the foundation programme etc. I'm pretty sure people do get in but i'm not sure how easy it is. There aren't too many non- UK grads in foundation programmes and normally you would expect more. Maybe there is a restriction I don't know about.

Best thing to do is to ask a friend who's done the same.

Ok, Thank you for help. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I want to do cardiothoracic surgery residency in UK. I am non eu citizen. I know before doing CT residency I need to do general surgery training. All I want to know, if I do GS training in Germany, complete MRCS by this time, can I enter directly into cardiothoracic residency in UK? what are my chances and how i can just increase my chances

In the UK you do not do general surgery for cardiothoracics, it is one of the few run-through specialties. Last time I looked at numbers a couple of years ago there were 20 jobs that year, for many years there were none, you will never get one, go elsewhere.

Hi
I am from a non EU country and i want spend my training residency in uk ... i am a GP now and i want to apply for self funded neuroscience Msc or PhD to increase my chance of getting Neurology residency . Could i have your openions about if my assumptions are true or not ? Or u think i am just wasting my time ?!!

Hi
I am from a non EU country and i want spend my training residency in uk ... i am a GP now and i want to apply for self funded neuroscience Msc or PhD to increase my chance of getting Neurology residency . Could i have your openions about if my assumptions are true or not ? Or u think i am just wasting my time ?!!

I think you are wasting your time. They won't let you do residency in the UK if you are non-EU citizen from non-EU medical school. Doing a self-funded MSc or PhD won't help you either.