Residency in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fernet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying to Ross, SABA, AUC and SGU. I would like to know from any graduates which schools give me a better opportunity to do residency in nyc. I am from nyc and must admit I love it here and would love to come back to train here if possible.

I know that strong step 1 scores is the most important, however assuming I score well, does my school name have any bearing on the match processs. I have read the match lists from each schools and without question Ross and SGU seem to dominate for ny matches from the pack. I keep hearing about making contacts during clinicals, but that seems to be contrary to whole idea of an unbiased match program. From reading these posts Ross and SGU seem to have a low student faculty ratio and are much more money. As a non-trad I think I am leaning towards a smaller and quieter enviornment for my studies such as SABA or AUC comparartivly speeking.

Any thoughts from alumni or current students.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

Members don't see this ad.

I think the student:faculty ratio is a bigger issue when you are looking from the outside in. Once in, you really don't care about it. And at this level of study, it doesn't matter so much. I rely a lot on self study. You have to study a lot here.

Plus I have never had a problem talking with a professor. And interaction in class is always there, if wanted.

NY gets a lot of residencies because a majority of the residency positions are located in that city. State schools cater to state programs to produce doctors for those individual states.
So I dont believe you'd see people going all over the place. Foreign med schools are set up that way, so most will go where there is opportunity. NYC is where that is.

I would suggest SGU, Ross and maybe AUC over those schools. They are accredited in every state. Have the money and resources to grow and adapt to changing licensure requirements.

Plus you'll have a better time in clinicals, and prob do them in a shorter period of time.
Plus you might not get as much trouble when it comes to licensing time. I remember there being some issue about the saba rotations not being acgme? accredited rotations.

I think you are investing a lot of time and money into this venture. When I come out I want to make sure that it was well worth it and I wouldn't have silly issues to deal with in terms of state licensure and practice.

<--just my opnion.

Other schools are good as well, but I personally feel safer going to well known and well funded programs.

Having done some clinical rotations in NY, it seems that Ross and SGU seem to have the most sites. SGU now has the "best" sites, but the Ross sites are comparable.

It seems you want to have the small scale version of a med school...when you do become a doctor one day, you will have to interact with crowds of people (literally like a zoo), so why not start early and go to the best of the caribbean schools. Don't settle for AUC (many AUC students end up transferring to ROSS anyways!). So save yourself time and hassle, go to either ROSS or SGU.

Peace. Hope this helps.