Residency in HAWAII............seriously........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKCDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is not just a dream.
I want to do my residency in Hawaii, but I am from a DO school.
Has anyone known anyone who has done rotations there? or got a residency?

I am intersted in learning more about their expereinces in HI.
Any suggestions welcome.

Aloha
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i've looked into it. do a google search of hawaii and residency. A few good links should come up.

DKCDO said:
Hi,

Any suggestions welcome.

Aloha

Which field?

I've worked with DOs in pathology, medicine, pediatrics, family practice and psychiatry. No surgeons or OB/GYNs yet.

We're a great state for IMGs/FMGs/DOs. :thumbup:

Blade,

R u @ UH? I wanted to do 4th yr. clerkships in HI. BUt I have no connections. I actually live in NYC. Can you tell me if there is preference for locals when residency is considered?

thanks

DKCDO said:
Hi,

Any suggestions welcome.

Aloha

Tripler Army Medical Center has all kinds of residencies, and is completey integrated with DO's . . only catch is you have to do Army HPSP :cool: :D

Hi, I too would love to work in Hawaii. I'm looking for a Retinal surgery fellowship for 2005 & couldn't find anything on a google search. I found one reference from a guy who said he did a retina fellowship there, but not where exactly. Any ideas? Thanks

I was wondering about Preliminary Medicine and Transitional? What are they like and how competitive are they for someone a below average school in the Midwest with average board scores?

DKCDO said:
Blade,

R u @ UH? I wanted to do 4th yr. clerkships in HI. BUt I have no connections. I actually live in NYC. Can you tell me if there is preference for locals when residency is considered?

thanks

Yes, I am. I think residency programs here tend to look at all applicants equally (at least, from what the Surgery and IM PDs have told me)...doesn't matter what med school you went to, or where you live, or where you went to undergrad, etc.

Retinamark said:
Hi, I too would love to work in Hawaii. I'm looking for a Retinal surgery fellowship for 2005 & couldn't find anything on a google search. I found one reference from a guy who said he did a retina fellowship there, but not where exactly. Any ideas? Thanks

Sorry, I don't know anything about this fellowship. You could try contacting the Department of Surgery here.

ktat72 said:
I was wondering about Preliminary Medicine and Transitional? What are they like and how competitive are they for someone a below average school in the Midwest with average board scores?

Well, obviously, since it's Hawaii, the transitionals love it here. :) From what I've heard, it's quite competitive, since there are only 10 spots, and they're quite flexible in helping you make your schedule. We also have quite a few Prelims in IM...not sure what their board scores were though.

I heard that G. Surg at Hawaii was brutal. I wonder if this has changed at all since new work hours were put in place. I read on Scutwork a while back that guys were prerounding at 3:30am. Thats rediculus.

Docgeorge said:
I heard that G. Surg at Hawaii was brutal. I wonder if this has changed at all since new work hours were put in place. I read on Scutwork a while back that guys were prerounding at 3:30am. Thats rediculus.

They've had a new PD for a few years now, so the program is much less malignant. He's a great guy, really fun to work with. 80-hour work week is definitely in effect. (Not for us med students, though...at the busiest hospital in the state, we'd work 90-95 hr/wk. :( Ah, good times...)

Let me know if you have more questions.

How is the teaching over there? Esp for a medstudent. I'm trying to figure out where I want to do some 4th year rotations.

Sorry... should have clarified. I was interested in G-Surg or Trauma.

I did my Surgery rotation at Queen's, the busiest hospital in the state. ALL the traumas (and I mean ALL of them, from every city, and from every neighbor island!) come to that hospital; obviously they also get all the good General Surgery cases. The only types of surgeries that are lacking are the transplants, which are traditionally done at St. Francis Medical Center. Attendings are great, they'll let you do quite a bit in the OR, especially if there isn't a resident also scrubbed in.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

One more thing...Queen's doesn't tend to get the Whipples though. :( But if you're interested in seeing other cases, there are some awesome ENT, plastics, ortho and urology attendings to scrub in with.

Sweet! Thanks. As far as residency, do the residents rotate at St. Francis sometime during residency?