Are there negative repercussions for missing an interview for a serious medical emergency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short - I had a serious medical issue the day before my interview for which I had to go to the hospital. Had tickets booked, hotel reserved - all lost. I emailed the program once as soon as I knew (day before, Sunday) and then again the day of.

I am upset in many ways since this was a top choice for me. Also, I am sad I wasted the program’s time and money. But I am glad I am alive...Not hearing back from program has me worried they are taking this as some kind of insult and will inform my home program? I have documentation and all but once the accusation is out there, it’s out there. With time to think and no answer for 2 days, I guess I am just expecting the worst so it worries me. Bottom line: can there be bad repercussions for this? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's fairly unlikely they'd take it as an insult, but they may or may not have any slots left to offer you. The most negative repercussion I'd expect is just not being able to interview there.

Reactions: 5 users
Why don’t you just try to phone them and re-schedule? This will re-confirm your interest in the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Long story short - I had a serious medical issue the day before my interview for which I had to go to the hospital. Had tickets booked, hotel reserved - all lost. I emailed the program once as soon as I knew (day before, Sunday) and then again the day of.

I am upset in many ways since this was a top choice for me. Also, I am sad I wasted the program’s time and money. But I am glad I am alive...Not hearing back from program has me worried they are taking this as some kind of insult and will inform my home program? I have documentation and all but once the accusation is out there, it’s out there. With time to think and no answer for 2 days, I guess I am just expecting the worst so it worries me. Bottom line: can there be bad repercussions for this? Thank you.

Is this really a question? Has medicine really become this toxic that you would have to ask whether there would be repercussions for BEING ILL and having to go to the HOSPITAL!? isn't that what we do as doctors - take care of people who are ILL? ay ay ay dude.

The answer is NO. And don't worry every program interviews more than they need to fill each and every spot, so if anything, the program is wasting applicant's time knowing they likely either won't rank everyone and even if the do, most people wont match there.

So glad you are better, and relax. The only thing that can happen is that you mihgt not be able to interview there. Outside of that, there are no repercussions other than worrying yourself for no reason whatsoever.

I actually flew to one of my interviews, checked into my hotel, and then woke up with a fever to 104 and uncontrollable vomiting. I had to call morning-of and tell them I couldn't walk across the street and interview--it was physically impossible.

They totally understood. They weren't able to reschedule my interview so I lost that chance and the money for traveling, but there were no serious negative repercussions.

And, the PC may be out of the office after interview day-hence why no response. Or, they may be trying to get caught up from not being do answer anything from interview day. Or they may be trying to figure out where they can wiggle you in to interview, and will let you know once they have that figured out. Lots of reasons why no contact. Yes, a phone call would be ok, to try to reschedule.

It's ok. Stuff happens. Planes get delayed, flights get cancelled, people get sick, people cancel without explanation last-minute....you name it. You aren't going to be blacklisted because of this. You may or may not get a repeat interview opportunity with them. Since it's a holiday week, give the PC time to respond---it may not be til next week.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually flew to one of my interviews, checked into my hotel, and then woke up with a fever to 104 and uncontrollable vomiting. I had to call morning-of and tell them I couldn't walk across the street and interview--it was physically impossible.

They totally understood. They weren't able to reschedule my interview so I lost that chance and the money for traveling, but there were no serious negative repercussions.

They really should have given you an opportunity to at least meet with the PD and do a mini-interview if anything when you feeling better? You paid for the flight and hotel, you were already there

If the program holds being hospitalized against you, probably you dodged a bullet.

That says, chances are good they just haven’t written back yet. There’s a chance they just won’t have another interview slot to offer you which is unfortunate, but I doubt they blacklist you for this.

Reactions: 1 user