Residency & GPA, ECs, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There may be a post on this (I'm sure there would be), but I can't find it. If there is, can someone please forward me it if you have time? Thanks :) If not....

I'm wondering about residencies and what you need to be competitive GPA-wise, EC-wise, etc. to get interviews and acceptances. I live in MN currently, and will probably stay around here.

THANK YOU for any information!

Members don't see this ad.

There may be a post on this (I'm sure there would be), but I can't find it. If there is, can someone please forward me it if you have time? Thanks :) If not....

I'm wondering about residencies and what you need to be competitive GPA-wise, EC-wise, etc. to get interviews and acceptances. I live in MN currently, and will probably stay around here.

THANK YOU for any information!

I'm only a P2 but I plan on applying to residencies with about a 3.75 GPA and NOTHING for EC's

I'll let ya know how that goes...

I'm only a P2 but I plan on applying to residencies with about a 3.75 GPA and NOTHING for EC's

I'll let ya know how that goes...

If you plan on applying to one of the very competitive programs (i.e. Mayo, Shands, MUSC, Duke, etc) you may want to have some EC involvement along with that 3.75 GPA. I know a person with a high GPA (top 5% of the class) with no EC involvement who was turned down for an interview at a very competitive program. Not saying you have to be in leadership position in every organization but professional involvement looks good on a CV. Just my opinion, hope it all works out for ya:)

Members don't see this ad :)
If I weren't a moderator responsible for this subforum, I would have ignored this thread, but as is I feel compelled to do the searching... :rolleyes:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=435110

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=321905

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=511216

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=437714

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243744

Another great source of first-hand information about everything residency:

http://www.ashp.org/rtp

I believe either ACCP or ASHP used to post averages for residents, too...

If you plan on applying to one of the very competitive programs (i.e. Mayo, Shands, MUSC, Duke, etc) you may want to have some EC involvement along with that 3.75 GPA. I know a person with a high GPA (top 5% of the class) with no EC involvement who was turned down for an interview at a very competitive program. Not saying you have to be in leadership position in every organization but professional involvement looks good on a CV. Just my opinion, hope it all works out for ya:)

This is a very helpful reply and is exactly what I was hoping for by posting what I did. You've given me some perspective on my chances for getting into residencies with my current situation...Muchos Gracias:cool::cool::cool:

but it's so hard to say that. I have a (slightly) lower GPA than a friend, but much more as far as extracurriculars. She got an interview at Maryland, I did not. But I got an interview at UCSD, and she did not.

There is no black or white, it comes down to the whole picture. I didn't think I'd be that competitive (3.29, fair amount of offices held, etc)and I managed to get interviews at 8/10 places I applied. The problem I have is that there are people in my class with 4.0s and national offices (elected). So comparing me to them, I look really inadequate. But compared to the other average pharmacy students out there, I look pretty good.

There is no black or white, it comes down to the whole picture.

You're exactly right when you say there is no black/white cutoff point that will say a candidate with X GPA, X amt of EC activity and X community service will get you a residency. But a high GPA with EC activity certainly makes one a competitive candidate.

Congrats on the 8 interviews, I don't know how you handle all of that traveling. I have 5 and I'm starting to be annoyed with all of the traveling.

I am so tired of talking about myself. I had a 2-day marathon interview for a fellowship and it involved like10 mini interviews.

If I'd known I would do as well as I did I wouldn't have applied all of these places. But I think it will work out in the end. I just don't want to think about how much money I'm spending.

Everything that has been told to me as far as residencies is as follows... As long as you have above a 3.0- grades dont really matter. From what I understand, they will be comparing the student with a 3.1 and one with a 3.8 based mostly on extracurriculars and whether or not they can get along with the other residents in the program.

I knew I wasn't going to have the motivation to compete with the 4.0er's at my school. I'm not one of those people that can study for 8-12 hrs a day- so I instead got really involved. I'm hoping that by keeping my 3.2 where it is, as well as holding top leadership positions in the class and organizations, and doing a dual degree, that will make me just as competitive as those people with 4.0's who dont even have time to eat.

Work smarter, not harder...

If I'd known I would do as well as I did I wouldn't have applied all of these places. But I think it will work out in the end. I just don't want to think about how much money I'm spending.

BTW, how have your interviews gone so far? Did anyone mention to you they will rank you high? Thx.

BTW, how have your interviews gone so far? Did anyone mention to you they will rank you high? Thx.

Interviews are good thus far. No mention of ranking yet. I don't think they're allowed to say anything - I can let them know I am ranking them first in hopes they do the same but I think it's against the rules for them to say anything.