residency/fellowship combos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrub monkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there such a thing as a residency program offering a fellowship position also when you apply?

there are a number of community programs with gi fellowships that i'd be interested in. unfortunately unless they ensured me a spot in that fellowship program, i'd feel a lot safer going to a strong academic program to secure a fellowship.

has anyone ever heard of a community program offering both residency and fellowship spots together?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

Such programs are so-called "fast track" programs. These are pretty much "research track", and is pretty common in many academic programs. The deal is this, you apply and indicate that you want to apply to one of these tracks for a given subspecialty, say, cardiology. If you match, you do your first two years of your residency at that institution, then after PGY2, you go straight into their fellowship program, then at the end of your fellowship, you do 1 extra year of research. Your fellowship position is pretty much guaranteed after your PGY2 year. People who apply to these programs usually have significant research experience/interest in the area, and have done significant research. Many have PhD's to back it up. Doing so will commit yourself to that particular residency AND their fellowships.

Where can I find a list of these fast track programs? Anyone?