Residency Eye Exam?? Am I out of luck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBallerBro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am super excited to be starting medical school in August and am strongly interested in pursuing a career in optho. However, I have been looking into the optho match process and have found that many residency programs require results from a recent eye exam. Given my limited knowledge, it seems like most programs are just interested in evaluation stereopsis. I have really great depth perception but I have moderate myopia (5.25/5.5 in both eyes) and have been diagnosed with lattice degeneration (no holes or tears ever). My question is would the results of my eye exam preclude me from a career in optho?

I greatly appreciate any insight as I am really worried that I won't be able to enter my desired career choice

Members don't see this ad.

Chill. You're fine. I'm in fellowship and I'm way more myopic than you.

Reactions: 2 users
Chill. You're fine. I'm in fellowship and I'm way more myopic than you.
Thanks for the response Slide. I feel much better about the myopia now, but how about having lattice degeneration in my left eye since I have read that it increases my chance of having retinal detachment in the future. Will program directors look unfavorably on that while considering my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. The eye exam generally needs to list BCVA and stereopsis and colour vision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
No. The eye exam generally needs to list BCVA and stereopsis and colour vision.

I don't know if they'd care about lattice degeneration, but University of Alabama did require a full fundoscopic exam.

I don't know if they'd care about lattice degeneration, but University of Alabama did require a full fundoscopic exam.
Yeah that's what I'm scared of. I am really concerned about the prospect of not being able to enter my desired field of practice even before I begin medical school

Why would they not let you enter ophthalmology? As long as you don't need prophylactic laser... and aren't like refusing it...I don't see why this is an issue. I know other residents that have lattice....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah that's what I'm scared of. I am really concerned about the prospect of not being able to enter my desired field of practice even before I begin medical school

One of my coresidents had laser done for lattice. You're fine, relax.