Residency Application Mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KARM12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency Application Mistakes:
1. Please read the program requirements carefully. If you do not send all the necessary application materials BY THE DEADLINE, you seriously compromise your chances of someome even reviewing your application.

2. Do not consistently e-mail the program director everyday asking if she/he has gotten your application. Please wait a week or more for them to contact you. It is a busy time and things may take a few days to get through the hospital mail system.

3. When you get said completion "email" don't reply unless you've been offered an interview at that point or have a legit question. We have enough emails to send.

4. Be considerate to programs when scheduling interviews. If you really aren't interested in going there don't schedule one to "hold" the spot and then cancel 2 days before the interview.

5. Have a good idea of where you are applying - You live in sunny CA, can you really part with this to move to freezing cold places with snow like Chicago or Boston? They usually find this our real quick when they interview in Feb.

6, Being rude to current residents - either meeting them at midyear, over email/phone, or even when a rotation student at the hospital. Residents do have a say as to who ends up on the rank list. Especially for PGY2--when the current resident takes you out to lunch.

I will add more once interviews start.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
KARM -

Thanks for starting this list. I imagine that you might have personal experience with some of these items :D

Anyway, I have a question for you regarding #4 (and interview scheduling in general). In your experience, how far in advance, and how flexible, is interview scheduling at most residency programs? I've applied to 4 programs in one area and if I get multiple interview invites, I would like to try to do them all in one trip.

This might be a good question for Glycerin, too :thumbup:

KARM -

Thanks for starting this list. I imagine that you might have personal experience with some of these items :D

Anyway, I have a question for you regarding #4 (and interview scheduling in general). In your experience, how far in advance, and how flexible, is interview scheduling at most residency programs? I've applied to 4 programs in one area and if I get multiple interview invites, I would like to try to do them all in one trip.

I get annoyed by half filled out applications and stupid emails by canddiates! Don't email me three days in a row asking the same thing!

I think most programs will start offering interviews next week through the end of January... I was able to schedule my "away" interviews at the same time so I had to buy less plan tickets. Some programs have set interview dates to pick from and others will say "any Mon/Fri in Feb."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting these tips, Karm!

To clarify #2- so is it common for the program to send a courtesy email letting me know that they received all my materials? I have only encountered this once so far. If I contact them a week later like you mentioned, and discover something didnt make it, isnt it too late anyways? ..though I suppose I could just quickly email the missing item if it isnt a LOR...

KARM -

I was lucky in that mine just fell into place. I had one interview per day on February 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, and 25, so I just lumped everything together. Most programs either asked me which day worked best for me, or they gave me several dates from which to choose. Also, I did have to reschedule one interview, because right after I scheduled it, the final place that contacted me only had openings on certain dates, one being the date I'd just scheduled with the former residency. They were, however, very accommodating and nice when I asked to reschedule, simply because I did it immediately and they also were open about their dates.