Residency Application Cycle - Who is ready for it???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The student workshops and events on Sunday are free.

For the showcase, yes, you bring your CV and talk to the residents/residency director/director of pharmacy/other clinical staff present. Come with questions, show interest, and leave a good impression. Last year I went to Midyear with a list of 11 programs in which I was interested, and just from speaking with them in person, I was able to remove 2 programs from my list. Conversely, I have friends that ended up finding programs at Midyear that they weren't aware of prior to the showcase, and coincidentally, interviewed at these programs and some are now residents at these programs.

In November the list of which residency programs during each slot will be available so that you're able to plan out those two days. I would familiarize yourself with where each booth is and plan to spend ~15-20 minutes (give or take) at each booth.

Dress professionally, be professional, and please, no gum. ;)

Everyone going to midyear....has to sign up for the residency showcase? There are 3, but we may only register for ONE, correct? Do I have to wait until November to register once I see the list of residency programs that will be available during each slot? I don't think I'm going to register for the PPS, unless it will be more advantageous?

I have to submit the Resident Matching Program Application Agreement Form by next month? Where can the application be found? :eek:

Thanks Glycerin for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone going to midyear....has to sign up for the residency showcase? There are 3, but we may only register for ONE, correct? Do I have to wait until November to register once I see the list of residency programs that will be available during each slot? I don't think I'm going to register for the PPS, unless it will be more advantageous?

I have to submit the Resident Matching Program Application Agreement Form by next month? Where can the application be found? :eek:

You don't need to register for the Residency showcase...you just show up! You are encouraged to go to all three sessions. The match application is not due until January.

You're welcome.

I think you're worrying too much. ;) You just pay the student fee for registration. That's it. That gets you into the WHOLE meeting, regardless of how many days you attend. Now, if you want to do PPS (which, for you, I don't recommend, as it is mainly for PGY-2s or people looking for jobs), that is an extra fee, but you'd have to click on the PPS link on the ASHP MCM page to find out how much and when to pay that. There are also some CEs or specialty meetings during the meeting that cost extra, but I never attended any of those in the two years I went to MCM as a student.

I haven't looked for this year, but last year the match applicant agreement and fee weren't due until the first of January.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to register for the Residency showcase...you just show up! You are encouraged to go to all three sessions. The match application is not due until January.

Okay :) That's good then. I can go to the Monday am and Tues am. I plan to leave on Tues pm anyway. I still have to register for the meeting though right :laugh:

I was looking at the ASHP residency checklist, and saw in Sept it says to submit the matching application agreement form along with appropriate fee. Is there a website that we're supposed to start working on an application for? I saw for January, as you mentioned, that the application agreement form must be turned into the National Matching Services.

Thanks Karm for your help!

You're welcome.

I think you're worrying too much. ;) You just pay the student fee for registration. That's it. That gets you into the WHOLE meeting, regardless of how many days you attend. Now, if you want to do PPS (which, for you, I don't recommend, as it is mainly for PGY-2s or people looking for jobs), that is an extra fee, but you'd have to click on the PPS link on the ASHP MCM page to find out how much and when to pay that. There are also some CEs or specialty meetings during the meeting that cost extra, but I never attended any of those in the two years I went to MCM as a student.

I haven't looked for this year, but last year the match applicant agreement and fee weren't due until the first of January.

I am super stressed out over the whole residency application process :laugh: Mostly because I have NOBODY to talk to about anything (except you and Karm) so I feel like I'm behind and I don't want to forget or miss anything that I'm supposed to be doing.

Okay, I'll just register for the meeting (student fee) and book a ticket, hotel room, etc. and try to relax :)

Okay, I'll just register for the meeting (student fee) and book a ticket, hotel room, etc. and try to relax :)

Sounds like a good plan. :) And, your questions are fine. Don't feel like you can't ask them. We were all in your shoes at one time.

Like I said, *I* personally found the student programming on Sunday to be helpful, so if I were to go again as a P4, I'd be sure to be there that day.

I'd also encourage you to participate in your school's Clinical Skills Competition. I participated all throughout school, and last year my team partner and I won for our school and got to compete on the national level at MCM. It was great experience, and that always is a bonus when applying to residencies. :)