Residency Application Cycle - Who is ready for it???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just now really getting into the planning mode. I have worked out where I want to be in the long term - Now I need to figure out which path is going to get me there.

On the list of things to do.

1. Identify programs that fulfill my specific needs (Federal service, good mix of amb care and inpatient)

2. Open up line of communication with each program

3. Consistently update my CV (its current through the end of last year - but doesn't have rotations info)

4. Lock on final list of recommendations - I am still working on a few - and one site I am yet to even go to :(

5. Purchase ticket for Midyear and begin saving for gambling trip... I mean residency showcase ;)

6. I have no idea...

Anyone else going through the prep phase? If any of you recently appointed residents chime in - it would be most appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am just now really getting into the planning mode. I have worked out where I want to be in the long term - Now I need to figure out which path is going to get me there.

On the list of things to do.

1. Identify programs that fulfill my specific needs (Federal service, good mix of amb care and inpatient)

2. Open up line of communication with each program

3. Consistently update my CV (its current through the end of last year - but doesn't have rotations info)

4. Lock on final list of recommendations - I am still working on a few - and one site I am yet to even go to :(

5. Purchase ticket for Midyear and begin saving for gambling trip... I mean residency showcase ;)

6. I have no idea...

Anyone else going through the prep phase? If any of you recently appointed residents chime in - it would be most appreciated :D

holy bologna batman...you are way ahead of where i was at this point last year...i had some pretty good ideas of what programs i was looking at but they definitely got altered a bit as i went through different rotations. more power to you being so prepared now...it will cut way down on the stress come mid-year

I wouldn't start contacting programs until much later...like Oct/Nov at the earliest. Program directors are very busy right now with getting their current residents out and preparing for the new residents to get settled. I don't think it offers any advantage because we don't really care until we have your completed application in hand. For all the contacts we get, I would say less than half apply...and we had almost 100 applicants this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't start contacting programs until much later...like Oct/Nov at the earliest. Program directors are very busy right now with getting their current residents out and preparing for the new residents to get settled. I don't think it offers any advantage because we don't really care until we have your completed application in hand. For all the contacts we get, I would say less than half apply...and we had almost 100 applicants this year.

in response to this, i think within the next couple months (because now is truly the most hectic time of the residency year), it's ok to contact programs that don't have any posted information other than what is in the ASHP directory. There were several VA's that had no website and they were happy to email documents (which they used to hand out at mid-year) that give an overall view of their programs. I think this is only fair to allow you to have enough time to compare programs that you may not have really gotten to know about until after MCM. I don't think you should be contacting them for the sake of getting your name out there because it's doubtful they will remember you at this point, but I think it is to your advantage to collect as much information specific to the programs that you have an interest in. The timing of MCM and application deadlines doesn't really afford you the opportunity to wait until MCM to really get a handle on potential programs whose program information isn't widely available

I am so not ready to do it again.

Not sure at this point if I'll pursue a PGY-2. Maybe, but it'll depend on this year.

To give you advice, above, I did start contacting places in July/August last year, but it was really brief e-mail communication. I kept in contact with them over the months leading to Midyear with random questions I had that couldn't be answered on the websites.

My best advice is update your CV (as you say you've been doing) and also maybe keep a copy of all of your presentations, because anything on your CV will be fair game in an interview, and if you have them all together, it'll be more convenient when you prepare for possible interview questions regarding them (and trust me, you won't always remember the outcome of that journal club you did back in June).

Also, start thinking about WHY you want to do a residency and WHY you're applying to the places to which you're applying. Be familiar with your strengths and weaknesses, and be able to turn your weaknesses into positives.

I am so not ready to do it again.

PGY2 in? PGY2's are for boring, ugly, serious people.

I feel ya...I am so happy that I will never have to leave my future up to the match gods. They disappointed me 2 years in a row!

Critical care or emergency medicine.

Need to decide if I should reapply to places I liked but didn't match to last year.

Critical care or emergency medicine.

Need to decide if I should reapply to places I liked but didn't match to last year.

I did and ended up getting interviews at one place that flat out rejected me as a PGY1 (no interview)...and they told me I was their top candidate for the PGY2. It was a nice satisfaction ranking them low on my list... (not because of the PGY1 thing but because there were better programs out there). I also applied for PGY2's at places that I interviewed with and didnt match at (ranked them higher than where I ended up). I say if you are interested in the program to go ahead and apply...different program directors = different opinion. Plus you have your PGY1 experiences to draw upon.

Critical care, EM? Yuck, no thanks. I can put in a good word for you at a certain critical care residency that is also one of the largest EDs in the country...haha...

My best advice is update your CV (as you say you've been doing) and also maybe keep a copy of all of your presentations, because anything on your CV will be fair game in an interview, and if you have them all together, it'll be more convenient when you prepare for possible interview questions regarding them (and trust me, you won't always remember the outcome of that journal club you did back in June).

I would also suggest bringing some of the best samples of your work with you to the interviews - it is really nice when you ask someone about a particular project they did - and they smile and say "let me show you", pull it out and open it on the key slide. Instant bonus points, at least from me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also suggest bringing some of the best samples of your work with you to the interviews - it is really nice when you ask someone about a particular project they did - and they smile and say "let me show you", pull it out and open it on the key slide. Instant bonus points, at least from me. :)

Haha...we made fun of the girl that did that this past interview cycle.

LOL some places I interviewed totally would've eaten it up, and others were much more relaxed.

And the reason was? Did you think she was trying to show off or something?

Anyone can make their project sound like they overhauled the whole rotation site all by themselves. When I see exactly what they meant by "I evaluated the formulary position of the drugs of X class", I can evaluate it much better than if I only have their words to go by. I don't trust people, we all try to make our work sound more important than it really is. :p

And the reason was? Did you think she was trying to show off or something?

Anyone can make their project sound like they overhauled the whole rotation site all by themselves. When I see exactly what they meant by "I evaluated the formulary position of the drugs of X class", I can evaluate it much better than if I only have their words to go by. I don't trust people, we all try to make our work sound more important than it really is. :p

It seemed like she was showing off... I think she pulled it out at an odd time during the interview, which took us off guard. So, if you are going to bring one, make sure you make it compliment your interview and not just spend the time showing all the papers in the binder.

It seemed like she was showing off... I think she pulled it out at an odd time during the interview, which took us off guard. So, if you are going to bring one, make sure you make it compliment your interview and not just spend the time showing all the papers in the binder.
Oh yes, that would be a big no-no. My advice would be to bring the binder, but only show something if asked a specific question about the specific project listed on the CV. And it definitely shouldn't be everything the person has done since the first year of pharmacy school. Only major rotation projects, and maybe one or two unusual, interesting, and very well done school projects.

After doing the ''Should I, should I not'' everyday this summer, I decided that I'm going to go ahead and apply for residency programs because in the end, I want to be a clinical pharmacist. I feel like if I want to work in a clinical setting, a residency would be the way to go. I'm afraid that if I just graduate and apply for hospital or clinical positions, I will be shot down just because I didn't do a residency. I have made a list of all the places I want to apply, but I know I HAVE to attend the midyear clinicial meeting if I want any chance? It is going to take place Dec 6-10, and Midwestern only allows me 2 excused days so I don't even know which days I should go. I'm thinking the days when the residency showcase is taking place. Right now, I'm working on my CV and looking at programs. I know going to the meeting is not saying you will be guaranteed a residency, I don't know if I will get one. I don't even work in a hospital right now (I work retail) and am in no professional organizations. The only thing I have going for me is that my grades are good, I have hospital volunteer and community service experience, my rotations, and that's about it.

You can still apply without going to Midyear. Some programs see so many faces that day it may not help. But the showcase offers the opportunity to look at smaller programs that you might not have noticed in the midst of things.

You could e-mail your December preceptor now and see if they would allow you to work a weekend or something to make up the 2 extra days to go to the meeting.

It's not just Midyear, but the whole residency application process is stressing me out. I have convinced myself that the only way I can get a clinical position is if I do a residency. I've heard people say that if you for sure want a residency, you have to go to Midyear. I know residencies are getting more and more difficult to get and I live in Chicago where it's already saturated and I didn't even look at out of state residency programs yet. I'm also comparing myself to other students who did poster presentations, have some kind of leadership experience, actively involved in school organizations, etc. which I have none of. I have worked retail all throughout pharmacy school and only now when I will graduate next year and after going on clinical rotations, I realize that I want to do a residency.

keep in mind that while a residency is usually required for clinical position, it is not guaranteed that one would obtain a purely clinical position even if they complete a residency. of course, if one is willing to relocate, then that would be entirely possible

I'm gearing up for this also. Right now I have a list of about 5-6 programs I'm interested in but I'm hesitant to contact them or ask for additional information because I don't want them to think I'm crazy starting so early. Has anyone booked flights yet? I am thinking about going ahead and booking one, I've seen them under $200 round trip but I don't know if it will go up or not, it is vegas after all.

I am also in the midst of this process, and it is already stressing me out :( I have convinced myself that I am not going to match any where and I do not like that feeling.

But, I know I want to do this, so I will deal with the ups and downs of the whole process.....

If you plan on applying to in-state residencies only, is it worth it to even go to Mid-year?

If you plan on applying to in-state residencies only, is it worth it to even go to Mid-year?

I'd also like to hear comments about this. I am leaning towards going no matter what, partly because one of my best friends has asked me to go with her and the other student programming looked pretty good.

Depends...how much experience do you have with these programs? Have you done rotations there? Do you know current residents there?

ASHP is a good way to find information about a lot of programs. You may end up wandering over to a booth to a program where you wouldn't have considered applying and by the end of the process, matched there. It is also a good way for the programs to put at a face with the name if they haven't met you yet. I for sure remembered a lot of candidates that I talked to during midyear when I saw their applications. But again, being a strong and well rounded candidate is what will make you stand out in the end.

Plus it is an excuse to go to Vegas!

P.S. Most of the student programming is on Sunday and the showcase is on Mon and Tues...so two days off of rotation is plenty for attending Midyear. Think about it, most students do this while on rotations.

I've got a room booked at The Mirage and Paris - going to decide which one to cancel.

Waited too long to get the Venetian or Treasure Island.

my school is a 3 years program, so hope nobody thinks that i am crazy contemplating of going to midyear as a 2nd year. but anyway, i saw an earlier comment someone made that most people will forget about you when you are done talking with them at the booth, so.. my question is: do you think it really worth spending the money to go as a 2nd year (beisdes its at vegas)? i definitely am considering going there as a 3rd year when it is at Anaheim nonetheless.

If you want to go this year, then go. They definitely won't remember you if you won't apply for this cycle. But if you want to go and experience it and to help you be more prepared for next year, then i say go for it. Personally, I wouldn't go until my last year cause I just don't have the money for it.

Stop by our booth!

I will definitely be getting some contacts from SDN - except for zpack - that guy is crazy :D

Where is everyone staying? I'm at Harrah's.

I've got a room booked at The Mirage and Paris - going to decide which one to cancel.

Waited too long to get the Venetian or Treasure Island.

Damn - I haven't even booked my flight yet :-( am I already too late?

my school is a 3 years program, so hope nobody thinks that i am crazy contemplating of going to midyear as a 2nd year. but anyway, i saw an earlier comment someone made that most people will forget about you when you are done talking with them at the booth, so.. my question is: do you think it really worth spending the money to go as a 2nd year (beisdes its at vegas)? i definitely am considering going there as a 3rd year when it is at Anaheim nonetheless.

It is worth going - but make sure you are aware of your place. Your goal as a 2nd year is to get accustomed to the atmosphere and size of the meeting. Feel free to greet and get to know the few programs you are interested in.

However, do not eat up their time. They are there to meet then next year's hopeful residents. If you take 15 minutes to chat during the showcase, its 15 minutes some other final year student did not get to have. As a professional, there are many unspoken courtesies you have to be aware of. Going this year will familiarize yourself with them.

I bought the flight and hotel so early because I got a sick deal through southwest.. 5 nights at harrah's plus round-trip non-stop flights for $336 total.

I bought the flight and hotel so early because I got a sick deal through southwest.. 5 nights at harrah's plus round-trip non-stop flights for $336 total.

WOW... I have to get in touch with my preceptor during my 5th rotation. Hopefully I can workout something soon before all of the deals are gone. I was hoping to stay at NY or MGM Grand... Last time I was there - I was a poor corporal and stayed at the 4 queens just off the old strip :(

WOW... I have to get in touch with my preceptor during my 5th rotation. Hopefully I can workout something soon before all of the deals are gone. I was hoping to stay at NY or MGM Grand... Last time I was there - I was a poor corporal and stayed at the 4 queens just off the old strip :(

I also have to contact my preceptor for my 5th rotation. I'm going to ask for the whole week, I get 2 official days off and I'll just make up the other 3 on the weekends (if he agrees to let me go :confused:) I didn't register for the clinical meeting yet. I'm looking at the residency showcase listings to try to pick a spot.

I also have to contact my preceptor for my 5th rotation. I'm going to ask for the whole week, I get 2 official days off and I'll just make up the other 3 on the weekends (if he agrees to let me go :confused:) I didn't register for the clinical meeting yet. I'm looking at the residency showcase listings to try to pick a spot.

In all honesty, you don't need the whole week off. Arrive Sat and leave last on Tuesday.

In all honesty, you don't need the whole week off. Arrive Sat and leave last on Tuesday.

Thanks Karm! I was looking at registration fees and just saw that if I registered for the whole event, it would cost less than registering for 2-3 days. I wonder if I can register for the whole thing, and just arrive/leave at my own times? I plan to arrive on Monday morning and stay until Tuesday afternoon. I just want to see the residency showcase.

I think you can be there for just Monday and Tuesday. My school gives us a whole week off. I'm just overwhelmed with how many residency sites there are. I'm just narrowing it down by the states that I want to live in. How are you guys doing it?

I did it by printing out a list of all the Level 1 Trauma Centers in the country, then narrowed it down by where I would like to live.

Another way is to look at all the programs that have a specialty you're interested in - and looking at their PGY1s.

Thanks Karm! I was looking at registration fees and just saw that if I registered for the whole event, it would cost less than registering for 2-3 days. I wonder if I can register for the whole thing, and just arrive/leave at my own times? I plan to arrive on Monday morning and stay until Tuesday afternoon. I just want to see the residency showcase.

Yes, you can register for the whole conference and go as many days as you want or don't want.

No one is there to monitor how many days you go, so yes, you can pay the registration for the meeting and only attend a couple of days if you want. I've never stayed for the whole thing.

Personally, when I was a student, the student programming on Sunday was very helpful and informative to me. Check out what they have planned for students on Sunday before you book your trip, in case there is something of interest to you.

No one is there to monitor how many days you go, so yes, you can pay the registration for the meeting and only attend a couple of days if you want. I've never stayed for the whole thing.

Personally, when I was a student, the student programming on Sunday was very helpful and informative to me. Check out what they have planned for students on Sunday before you book your trip, in case there is something of interest to you.

I am going to pay $215 for the whole meeting and only stay a few days. I don't plan on staying for the whole event either. I noticed that there are extra fees for if you want to attend certain workshops on certain days? I know I sound kind of confused, but what I plan to do is attend the meeting and just visit tables that have the residency programs that I'm interested in? Drop off CV, talk to people. Is this what happens in the residency showcase? Sorry if I am making some people roll eyes for being such a clueless newbie :confused:

I am going to pay $215 for the whole meeting and only stay a few days. I don't plan on staying for the whole event either. I noticed that there are extra fees for if you want to attend certain workshops on certain days? I know I sound kind of confused, but what I plan to do is attend the meeting and just visit tables that have the residency programs that I'm interested in? Drop off CV, talk to people. Is this what happens in the residency showcase? Sorry if I am making some people roll eyes for being such a clueless newbie :confused:

The student workshops and events on Sunday are free.

For the showcase, yes, you bring your CV and talk to the residents/residency director/director of pharmacy/other clinical staff present. Come with questions, show interest, and leave a good impression. Last year I went to Midyear with a list of 11 programs in which I was interested, and just from speaking with them in person, I was able to remove 2 programs from my list. Conversely, I have friends that ended up finding programs at Midyear that they weren't aware of prior to the showcase, and coincidentally, interviewed at these programs and some are now residents at these programs.

In November the list of which residency programs during each slot will be available so that you're able to plan out those two days. I would familiarize yourself with where each booth is and plan to spend ~15-20 minutes (give or take) at each booth.

Dress professionally, be professional, and please, no gum. ;)

Thanks Glycerin for your response!

Quick question guys, how many residency programs can you sign up for in the match? Is there a maximum and minimum?

And can anyone have an opinion or estimation of the competitiveness of residencies in four years (when I'll be looking for a residency)? I heard talks that 4-5 years ago there were unfilled residency positions and in 2008 only 66% of students who applied got matched.

Quick question guys, how many residency programs can you sign up for in the match? Is there a maximum and minimum?

And can anyone have an opinion or estimation of the competitiveness of residencies in four years (when I'll be looking for a residency)? I heard talks that 4-5 years ago there were unfilled residency positions and in 2008 only 66% of students who applied got matched.

How do you know you want to do a residency? Four years is a long time - many things can change. We had people in my class who were dead set on hospital and now they said they could never imagine themselves in that setting.

You can apply to as many programs as you want to. Keep in mind that you will need to go to an onsite interview at each of these programs. That is usually the limiting factor. I would say most people apply to somewhere between 4-8 programs.

It is too hard to say what it will be like in 4 yrs. It depends on how many new programs or spots open up. I think the interest in residency programs from pharmacy students will continue to increase...it seems a lot of schools really push their students to go into residency training.

You can apply to as many programs as you want to. Keep in mind that you will need to go to an onsite interview at each of these programs. That is usually the limiting factor. I would say most people apply to somewhere between 4-8 programs.

It is too hard to say what it will be like in 4 yrs. It depends on how many new programs or spots open up. I think the interest in residency programs from pharmacy students will continue to increase...it seems a lot of schools really push their students to go into residency training.

Oh okay :) Thanks :) And on the flip side, how deep doe the list goes for the residency programs?

How do you know you want to do a residency? Four years is a long time - many things can change. We had people in my class who were dead set on hospital and now they said they could never imagine themselves in that setting.

How do I know I don't want to do a residency? *knock on wood* I'm just the kind of person who likes to make plans really really long in advance. The way I see it the two main areas pharmacists work at are retail and hospitals. I don't think there as much leg work I can do as a P1/P2 beside working part time and get to know people that will help me get a retail position but if I want to do a residency there are alot that I can do as a P1/P2 that will improve my chances or at least make me stands out.

I just don't want to get caught off-guard in three years when I'm applying for a residency spot. The more info I have, the better I'll be off.

^^