Residency app for IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I m a 4th year IMG medical student. I am a US citizen and I ve lived in the US my entire life. I went to Cal Berkeley for undergrad, Chicago Med School for M.S. degree and then to SGU for medschool. I have above average Step 1 and I recently took step 2 and I think I did really well.

Just wondering do you guys know of what programs have taken IMGs in the past 5 or 6 years? Is there an official list? Do you guys know off hand?

Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UncleHarvey.com and look at the match lists

Unless you have >240 step I with research you will not get considered this year. Most of the IMGs that do get into Neurosurgery do a preliminary year in surgery with extensive clinical research or take 1 to 2 years to do research alone. A lot of the IMGs that do get in are not US citizens that traveled abroad to study, they're ones that went to top Medical schools in their respective countries; India, Pakistan, Israel, England, Germany...

The program directors know that IMGs have several months or longer to study for step I, so if you can't break 240 you virtually wont get looked at unless you have amazing publications and letters of rec.

Last edited:
The IMG neurosurgery residents I've met on my travels have universally met the following molds:
-completed significant portion of neurosurgery training abroad (usually an entire residency)
-multiple years of clinical or research fellowship in the US, usually at the institution where they are residents
-trained at top-quality foreign medical schools (AIMS) and top-notch foreign hospitals
-usually graduated first in class

It seems unfair that a relative scrub like me can choose neurosurgery on a whim and reasonably expect to match 9 months later, but that's the game.