Residency and Pre-Med Gap Year Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if research that is done continuously from late undergrad through gap year leading up to MS1 is relevant for residency?

I have 2-3 poster presentations, 1 co-author, and I should have a 1st author in JACS by matriculation. Does any of this matter for residency or do they only care about research done during MS1/2 summers?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It all counts, especially the publications. They'll pay med school research more heed but it's still good that you have all that.

Reactions: 1 user
Even co-author in the middle position would help right? Doesn't have to be first or second author?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if research that is done continuously from late undergrad through gap year leading up to MS1 is relevant for residency?

I have 2-3 poster presentations, 1 co-author, and I should have a 1st author in JACS by matriculation. Does any of this matter for residency or do they only care about research done during MS1/2 summers?

Thanks!
It's good (provides further evidence related to good critical analysis/writing skills; and contributes to the advancement of medicine).

Depending on the subject matter of the research itself, it may be very relevant to a future residency; and it may also provide good networking opportunities in the future.