Sketchy as pre-med during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that makes sense.
my biggest paranoid worry is not knowing how to study anymore (it's been a 7+ years) since school. I feel like i dont know how anymore.

But burnout is real.

Maybe take a summer course. Can be anything at a community college. Languages tend to be kinda hard with their need for repetition, so you could learn and practice how to use the Anki program to get good at making flashcards.

Members don't see this ad.

Do Step 1 Zanki! And then do Step 2 Zanki! If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would have done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don’t understand how people can do Zanki before even covering the concepts. I feel like it’s easy to say “Gosh darn, I wish I started Zanki earlier” after you’ve gone through 2 years of med-school and dedicated and all the big picture concepts are more ingrained. I don’t think random factoid flashcards would’ve done anything more than frustrate me if I didn’t go over the topic first.

I honestly don’t understand how people can do Zanki before even covering the concepts. I feel like it’s easy to say “Gosh darn, I wish I started Zanki earlier” after you’ve gone through 2 years of med-school and dedicated and all the big picture concepts are more ingrained. I don’t think random factoid flashcards would’ve done anything more than frustrate me if I didn’t go over the topic first.

@efle loudly agrees.

Reactions: 1 user
is there anything worth doing now that step has/will go PF? i had to defer for a year and have been getting a little stir crazy.

Didn’t read any of this besides the title. The answer is no

1) Step 1 is P/F, this makes zero sense in light of that.

2) know what helped me a lot in my residency interviews, even more than the fact that I had really good board scores? Having interesting hobbies and things unrelated to med school to talk about. I’m not sure being the type of person that does all of sketchy micro before day 1 is compatible with that.

is there anything worth doing now that step has/will go PF? i had to defer for a year and have been getting a little stir crazy.

I could write you a book on things that can done now to make your life easier in Med school:

1. Learn to cook, meal plan, meal prep, and what shopping options are available to you in the area you’ll be in (instacart, Walmart pickup, etc). You don't have to become a gourmet, but a regular rotation of healthy meals that you like will be more valuable than you can imagine.

2. Attend to all your medical needs. See a doctor, dentist, eye doctor, gynecologist (if applicable), therapist, etc. and set up relationships in your new area. Make sure your insurance is good and will cover what you need.

3. Get your financial house in order. Set up new bank accounts if needed, automatic bill pay, etc. Anything you can automate, do it. Check to see if you’re paying for services you don’t use anymore (Hulu, Spotify, etc). Get your free credit report, do your taxes and your FAFSA.

4. Get in shape. Run, life weights, do yoga...whatever you like that can be continued when you start school. Do something sustainable! 2 hrs a day pumping iron is fine during your time off, but plan to scale back to a 30 min routine when school starts.

5. invest in your relationships now, and fix any issues you can. You won’t have time for family or relationship drama, and you won’t have the emotional energy to expend on drama either.

6. Do you have all the skills you need to set yourself up for success before school starts? Think about skills you may lack (are you disorganized, never learned to study, inefficient, have test anxiety), and get those fixed. Be proactive about this.

7. do you have everything you physically need for your living arrangements and school? Cooking supplies, wardrobe updates, etc?

8. Rest and do fun stuff. Read books for fun, travel, visit friends/family, binge watch some trash tv, get your spiritual life in order if you need to, and come in the fall ready to hit the ground running.

I think part of medical school is learning how to learn a lot of information quickly.
Learning the information before m1 may help you in m1-2 classes, but ultimately you are going to reach a point where before a shelf you are going to have to learn at a quicker pace than you are used to and have issues because you wont have all this extra time.

Rest your mind and soul, because medical school is a grind, and any reprieve or addition to your reserve of endurance will be 10 times more helpful than 1k anki cards matured or whatever.