Residency and Fellowship Watch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyScott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting thread to aggregate/track programs that 1)open new residency 2) add residents 3)offer fellowships.
(maybe it could be a sticky thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On ASTRO, Maryland is offering a pretty sweet GammaPod fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prob one of biggest “offender” is Stanford. They have increased and also keep some of their own residents as fellows. They have mastered the technique. Many places have expanded and almost doubled their resident numbers.

The growing number of “fellowships” is alarming. I would love to do a fellowship if they actually gave me more skills to be more marketable (neuro onc like fellowship to give chemo, if neurologists can give chemo why cant we?). After the red journal fellowship survey came out, its clear benefit is minimal to none for employment prospects.

Ever since I applied there have been numerous new programs: West virginia, more nyc ( x2)and LA (x1) places, darthmouth, arkansas, penn state memphis, Drexel reopened, etc etc....

So pretty much whoever has a linac and satisfies the minimal requirements opens up a program. This is not sustainable. Its truly alarming.

Last edited:
?? At what starting point are you going with?
You want a list of all programs that offer a fellowship of any kind?
I would say residencies going forward. Given the already huge expansion, editorials by prominent radiation oncologists about need for "additional training" (broadening skills in diagnostic/ir), and now secretary of health singling out the field, additional expansion is really contemptible. What does it say about the program and their regard for the future of their own residents? This needs to be transparent to medstudents. In addition, we may as well start documenting fellowships, which for the most part are educationally worthless, and symptom of overexpansion.

west virginia, penn state, dartmouth, and memphis have residencies? omg. one of the reasons I post here is because I dont expect medstudents and residents to understand how little hypofractionation there is in the general community (unless they somehow rotated through a 21C or US oncology facility) and the consequences of its widespread adoption. (Is not going to be quite as bad as a cure for cancer, but there will still be a lot of pain.)

Last edited:
I think FASTROs should be awarded to posters on SDN like RickyScott and the like who are exposing the realities of rad onc to med students. Had I known about the job prospects as a med student, I would have steered clear from this specialty. Too bad there weren't much discussions on sdn about the job market 5 years ago.

Yup. Would've been nice to know that info about circa 3rd or 4th year of med school.

Yup. Would've been nice to know that info about circa 3rd or 4th year of med school.

We have been discussing job market and reimbursement issues for 7 years or more. My 1st post was about vertical integration and who were more likely to be unscrupulous: free standing or hospital practices. There have been abusers for 50 years or more. Even though things look grim, radiation jobs are like wives. You only really need one good one to make you happy. And there are alway some good ones if you get lucky or know how to look!

Reactions: 1 users