In Regard to Butala et al - who watches the watchmen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementaryschooleconomics

Mask on, Aquaplast, Mask off.
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I presume they're too modest to post this themselves - excellent work, friends:

1607033441406.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Came here to post this. Such a great letter!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"We need to get past the idea that “academic” equals good quality and “community” equals suspect quality—or quality that needs an academic stamp of approval. But, inexplicably, our field produces articles and opinion pieces regarding these false premises. An additional certification for palliative radiation oncology is superfluous at best and insulting at worst. There is no need for a “PRT network.” It already exists. It is every community radiation oncologist and the centers in which they work."

Brings a tear to one's eye. Clapping.gif, fire emojis, all of it.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
To be very honest, it didn't occur to me at first how condescending this whole "PRT provider network" is... but I would be pretty annoyed if someone tried to tell me how to give 4 Gy x 5
Only a high volume palliative fellowship trained rad onc would know the answer!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
To be very honest, it didn't occur to me at first how condescending this whole "PRT provider network" is... but I would be pretty annoyed if someone tried to tell me how to give 4 Gy x 5

They're not trying to tell you how to do your job, just that they want you to PROVE to them, the ivory tower, that you know how to give 4Gy x 5 (or *gasp* even the dreaded 8Gy x 1)

Similar to how EviCore doesn't "tell us how to practice medicine" they just only cover what they feel is medically necessary for something cost-prohibitive to 99.9% of the population to pay for out of pocket.

"We need to get past the idea that “academic” equals good quality and “community” equals suspect quality—or quality that needs an academic stamp of approval. But, inexplicably, our field produces articles and opinion pieces regarding these false premises. An additional certification for palliative radiation oncology is superfluous at best and insulting at worst. There is no need for a “PRT network.” It already exists. It is every community radiation oncologist and the centers in which they work."

Brings a tear to one's eye. Clapping.gif, fire emojis, all of it.

Took the post right from my fingertips....

Kudos to them for doing this but I wonder what the mothership MDACC is feeling. Last I heard they were still part of being in that academic group even in satellite centers in AZ.

Reactions: 1 user
Kudos to them for doing this but I wonder what the mothership MDACC is feeling. Last I heard they were still part of being in that academic group even in satellite centers in AZ.
At this point, mdacc probably more worried about the fact that their 100% residency applicant crop of md phd 260+ AOA candidates with nature pubs and peace corp experience is no more

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
At this point, mdacc probably more worried about the fact that their 100% residency applicant crop of md phd 260+ AOA candidates with nature pubs and peace corp experience is no more
True dat!

This letter is
The disdain is so strong here with the PRT network suggestions as mentioned before. If non-academics need help with palliative radiation, then surely we should not even touch IMRT. Reminds me of Jay Pharoah's Stephen A Smith impression below.

If it Jay Pharoah/Stephen A was the academic rad onc team they would say

"I know Dr. Doe, he is a close friend of mine and trained under me for many years, but if he is going to be using MLCs, he should be nowhere near the patient! The patient should be in the academics hands!"

EDIT: see it from the beginning if you are not familiar with Stephen A Smith impressions