Residency after years of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mimib

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 9 years of inpatient hospital practice, I am having problems finding a full time job in my area. Almost every posting says "residency required." How can a working PharmD get a residency? If there are not enough programs for all the new graduates to match, how would someone like me even have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never seen a job posting that said "residency required". They all state residency or equivalent work experience.

To answer your question, you will have a hard time getting a job right now because it is residency graduation season. But come fall/winter if there are any openings that occur you will have a much better shot.

If you are unhappy with your current job, you may have to consider moving. Certain alpha world city metros like NYC and SF are much, much more difficult to get a job.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you live? I check job postings in certain attractive cities on a near daily basis and it's rare that I see a job that absolutely requires a residency. In fact, I'm working under the assumption that any institution that would take someone in their mid 20's with a PGY1 and no other work experience over a pharmacist with 9 years of inpatient experience is probably a place I would not want to work. I've been in hospitals where ego and credentials trump intelligence and skill, and that is not a situation I would willingly return to.

That said, have you considered sitting for board certification? If you live in a region that places a lot of emphasis on credentials you may consider this option.