Chances of getting a residency after failing and repeating PY2 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd2019*

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice or comments about experience with this. I failed my second year of pharmacy school (failed a lab class), and had to repeat all the classes for that whole semester. So, I had to remediate my Spring semester of PY2. I am now a PY4 and have decided since starting my APPE rotations this past May that I really do want to do a residency. My cumulative GPA is 3.1.

I am scared to death that I do not have a chance of matching anywhere due to my background of failing. Can anyone give me any advice or speak to a similar situation? Do you know anyone who has failed a year of pharmacy school and still matched for residency? What program did they match with? Also, are there any programs anyone can suggest I apply to that I might have a better chance of matching with, given my background? Ideally, I am most interested in doing a residency focused on MTM, ambulatory care, and/or community hospital. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I feel completely discouraged right now and like I might as well not pursue the process of applying, due to not having a chance at all. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't know of anyone in this situation, but I'm gonna say probably apply to low-key, smaller programs, or newer programs?

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't know of anyone in this situation, but I'm gonna say probably apply to low-key, smaller programs, or newer programs?

Projektreverb:

Thank you so much for your input! Could you give me any examples of programs you might suggest I apply to, like any specific ones (if you don’t mind naming specific programs? Or if email would be better and you are willing, my email is [email protected]). Also, what exactly do you mean by “low-key?”

Really, I’m pretty much open to applying to any residency program. I just know I really do want to do a residency; I have a great desire to do so. I love learning, and I want to continue to do so after I graduate in May. I don’t want to be stuck in retail my whole career with really no reason to learn new clinical information. I want to keep learning and be qualified for a job where I get to apply clinical information every day. That’s my reason for wanting to do a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone from my class year got a PGY-1 and early committed for a PGY-2, and he was initially in the year above me but failed and ended up in my year. As long as you're a good candidate in the other areas and you interview well (and possibly have connections), then you'll be fine.

Be sure to briefly explain it in your letters of intent, and what you learned from it. If you don't mention it at all, application reviewers will likely see it as a big unknown, draw their own conclusions why you failed and dismiss your application.