Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lambeufl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MSI attending a school that does very little research. I am very interested in pathology and everyone keeps talking about having path research in order to better your application.

Where do I find out information on path research programs and how can I set up path rotations at other universities??

Also, is all this extra research really that valuable in obtaining a good residency or are there other more factors.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Research isn't necessary to match competitively in path, though it definitely helps if you are interested in an academic track. Even so, your grades and board scores and a genuine interest in path are probably more important. While there are plenty of MD/PhDs in path, there are also plenty of MD onlys who haven't done any research, both of whom may or may not do any research during residency or later. That said, there are many opporunities for research outside of your medical school. You could do a post-sophomore year fellowship (see previous discussions on this), a HHMI student fellowship, or simply take a year off to work in a lab. As far as setting up away electives, there are standard protocols for arranging them that I'm sure you will be told about in your 3rd year. Doing an away elective at a program you are interested in is an excellent way of making yourself known to them. Good luck!