Research vs. Development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clockitnow

Do it! Do it! Do it now!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an engineer, I have developed a lot of technologies. For example, I created an automatic bicycle shifting system. We are working to get it patented right now. Especially in engineering there is a fine line between research and development. In secondaries, could I consider the automatic bicycle shifting system a research project?

Members don't see this ad.

i see it more as a basic science research versus design based research. My research has been at least 50% design based, but considering all the biological/chemical/physical questions I had to pose and answer along the way, I'm definitely going to talk a lot about it as a solid research project.

clockitnow said:
As an engineer, I have developed a lot of technologies. For example, I created an automatic bicycle shifting system. We are working to get it patented right now. Especially in engineering there is a fine line between research and development. In secondaries, could I consider the automatic bicycle shifting system a research project?

Well, I guess you could, but how does it apply to medicine? That's really the main focus of the MD/PhD --research aspects of medicine and health. You need to emphasize how the automatic bicycle shifting system will benefit humanity in terms of medicinal and health applications, not just the sake of you doing previous engineering research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I respectfully disagree with the idea that everything one has done has to be slanted toward helping humanity, or that it all has to be medical/medically related. Your having done some development, coming up with a good idea, seeing it through, etc. all show something about your character (inquisitive, determined, detail oriented, etc.). Remember, adcoms are normal people and also have VERY sensitive BS detectors. Morphing an experience into something it was not is both easy to recognize and poorly received.

That said, any experience that adds depth to your application SHOULD be mentioned - even highlighted. Be confident enough in yourself to just tell it like it is. That is almost always appreciated. Having done something "doctorly" is less important to the adcom than their knowing that you have what it takes to make it through an MD/PhD.

just my tuppence,
P

Primate said:
I respectfully disagree with the idea that everything one has done has to be slanted toward helping humanity, or that it all has to be medical/medically related. Your having done some development, coming up with a good idea, seeing it through, etc. all show something about your character (inquisitive, determined, detail oriented, etc.). Remember, adcoms are normal people and also have VERY sensitive BS detectors. Morphing an experience into something it was not is both easy to recognize and poorly received.

That said, any experience that adds depth to your application SHOULD be mentioned - even highlighted. Be confident enough in yourself to just tell it like it is. That is almost always appreciated. Having done something "doctorly" is less important to the adcom than their knowing that you have what it takes to make it through an MD/PhD.

just my tuppence,
P

I agree. put it in your essay.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I appreciate it :)

As an undergrad I worked at a Cyclotron Institute where I studied particle collisions. I also designed a gas handling system to create a vacuum for the experiments. On the surface there is not much relevance to "medicine". Regardless of whether you classify your research as basic science or development, you still have to undergo a process of problem solving and experimentation. I don't think it has to be medically related. In fact when I applied for different MD/PhD programs, many faculty were more interested in asking questions about my physics projects than my other projects that were more medically related.