research question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcus pupil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you had an offer to do research in a big study that spans 12 research centers (NIH sponsored), and you know that there is no chance you will be published (due to the amount of people involved in the study), would you still do the research. How much of a CV booster is such a study (considering the fact that it is real cutting edge stuff!).

Members don't see this ad.

Peer reviewed publication is of vital importance. Authorship is crucial, so I'd say no, work on something that you can get your name on.

Lets say you had an offer to do research in a big study that spans 12 research centers (NIH sponsored), and you know that there is no chance you will be published (due to the amount of people involved in the study), would you still do the research. How much of a CV booster is such a study (considering the fact that it is real cutting edge stuff!).

Depends if you already have publications or not. If you already have a lot, then and the experience gained from this research is substantial, I may actually do it. Assuming its no more than 6 months. If its longer than that, I'd want to get a publication out of it. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of role would you have in the project? Would you be just another person involved in it, or would it be possible to make some kind of creative contribution or participate in data analysis?

Jumping in late here, you may have already made your decision...

But I would actually say go for it!

The experience and networking opportunities could be substantial, depending on your role and your working proximity to the principal investigator and other lead researchers. If you do start off with more menial tasks, but have the opportunity to prove your capabilities to those in the higher ups, you could put yourself in-route to promotions to greater roles (and good references) in the near future. :luck: