Research preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackofknives

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I v a few questions concerning research. First Id like to give you guys an introduction of how the program works over here in Denmark.

The M.D program consists of 12 semesters, i.e. 6 years, split into 2 sections. The first section is a 3 years pre-clinical program where you get to learn the basics of the healthy human body, such as biochem, physiology, anatomy etc. The other 3 years is the clinical stage. Im currently in 2nd semester and in order to pass the pre-clinical stage we have to publish a research paper.

Im very interested in the research and advancement of plastic surgery and Im wondering whether it is possible for a pre-clinical med student to do an independent, first author research related to the field? Resource should not be problem however I’m not quite sure about my abilities and what exactly I have to get into beside the usual school program. As I’m in the preparation stage where I have to find a topic, design the procedures etc I could use some advice of where to start. Id also like to know whether some of you know any quality websites where you may find enriched publications of research in plastic surgery.

I’m thinking about doing something experimental or case related.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Members don't see this ad.

Im wondering whether it is possible for a pre-clinical med student to do an independent, first author research related to the field?
Since it sounds like you don't have much research experience, I'll tell you that it's incredibly difficult for a inexperienced student to get their own peer-reviewed, full-length jounal article published. While you may think that you have enough resources to carry out your own project, if this is your first time designing an experiment, then you don't have enough experience to know what you need.

Don't worry - most medical students don't have enough research training and resources ($ and facilities) to pull off a full paper on their own. In the US, med students who want a publication do so by working with a physician or a PhD who already have a project going.

I'd start by talking to the professors at your school. Start with the professors who are doing something you find interesting. It seems that plastics is what you like, so start there. I'm sure some of the plastic surgeons over there would be happy have you help them finish one of their projects.

Id also like to know whether some of you know any quality websites where you may find enriched publications of research in plastic surgery.
Try PubMed.