Research in Orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nima123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to join a group to do a Master's and then eventually apply to medicine. I wanted to do research in a clinically-relevant field and have two good opportunities right now, but don't know which one I should go for.

One is research in orthopaedics with a group that doesn't publish that many papers, but my supervisor is the chief of spine surgery and has promised me to let me see operations, etc. and help me get in.

The other is research on islet cells in diabetes with a group that does basic science research and publishes a lot. My supervisor would be a general surgeon but the work will involve mice and basic molecular biology techniques. Given that the guy is famous, I believe this will also help me get in.

I am more likely to publish working with the second group.

My question is if I were to do my residency in orthopaedics in the future, which of the two research experiences would count more?

What if I wanted to specialize in another surgery program.

I need to make a decision soon, so your timely responses are very much appreciated. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Diabetes is boring. Do you really want to do PCR and pipette gels all day, for a publication that no one will ever care about? For what, a vague promise of "help" (ie, a LOR that no one will ever read). Newsflash: you're not going to cure diabetes, and your boss will not help you get into medical school. Do the ortho gig, at least you'll do something fun and have a story for your applications.

Diabetes is boring. Do you really want to do PCR and pipette gels all day, for a publication that no one will ever care about? For what, a vague promise of "help" (ie, a LOR that no one will ever read). Newsflash: you're not going to cure diabetes, and your boss will not help you get into medical school. Do the ortho gig, at least you'll do something fun and have a story for your applications.

hehe...I can tell from my undergrad research expeirence that I'm absolutely no fan of pipetting all day.

The ortho project would still be somewhat basic (histology, immunohistochemistry, assays maybe) but I'll be working on human tissues obtained during spine surgeries and can be there to actually watch the surgeries.

But if doing boring stuff and getting published will help me get into med and match into competitive residencies later on, I'd still do them!

I'd appreciate it if others would like to share their perspectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know a guy that worked in a famous lab for 4 years before applying to medical school, had multiple publications, and still didn't get in...so he went to osteopathic school instead. that being said, no one knows who you are working with, and you can't make a blanket statement either way whether or not your guy is reliable or not in terms of helping you get in. Are you working for free or getting paid? they have no conscience when it comes to slave labor and hands to work in a lab.

No this is no slave trade here. I would be paid the usual salary by either of these people. The orthopaedist told me specifically he was gonna help me get in. I don't think anyone's trying to abuse me.

Do whichever you think will position you better for getting you into medical school (which as a previous poster noted, is no guarantee) and make that your primary focus right now. Do either of the PI's know any of the higher ups in a medical school? Who you know makes a difference. Besides, residency is way too far off for you at this point to let that dictate your choices.

To be fair, I chose general surgery over ortho, but from my experience and those of my classmates who went into ortho (among other things) there is very little you can do as a pre-med student short of getting a PhD that is going to make that much difference in the residency application process. (Ortho MDs correct me if I'm wrong)

The diabetes research sounds more cutting edge. While you may think that you are interested in ortho now, you may change your mind during the course of medical school. Although the diabetes research is with a general surgeon, the research topic is much broader and can be associated with internal medicine as well as general surgery. If I were in the same position as you, I would choose the diabetes research project, not only for what I said above, but also because your name in print will definitely help out in the future. In the end, doing the research in either field can do nothing but help.

Well, I think I'll go for the ortho project, since I find it more interesting and it seems that it'll give me the opportunity to get some clinical exposure that I haven't had before.

I'll be applying to med next year and if I get in, I may not finish the Master's, so I'm not sure I'll be able to publish within one year, anyway. And as someone here said, the ortho project is, by nature, more likely to give rise to something practical.

Who knows, maybe I'll also be able to make connections that will be useful a few years later when I am trying to get into a competitve residency.

I'll be applying to med next year and if I get in, I may not finish the Master's

I'd watch out for this. Most acceptances are conditional upon finishing all degrees you have started. I did a masters before med school and if I didnt finish it after I got acceptances that would have been grounds for withdrawal of my acceptances at all the schools I got into. FYI

I'd watch out for this. Most acceptances are conditional upon finishing all degrees you have started. I did a masters before med school and if I didnt finish it after I got acceptances that would have been grounds for withdrawal of my acceptances at all the schools I got into. FYI

Thanks for the heads up. I just called the ad office, and they said I wouldn't have to finish the Master's.