Research in medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakidoc

go stl cardinals!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks
i was wondering how much research during medical school helps towards getting into good residences. also is it important that the research be in any particular field?

thanks in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe, maybe not. It will not hurt but may not necessarily help. Depends on how competitive your selected residency is.

research itself is a minor factor for residency selection, even at the most academic places. it becomes a very important factor for fellowships. grades (clinical>preclinical), step I>II scores are the two critical factors.

the only time where research is important is if you are interested in the research track/fast-track/physician scientist training program, where this would train you to be an academic physician with a research focused career. search the MD/PhD forum for more info.

pakidoc said:
hey folks
i was wondering how much research during medical school helps towards getting into good residences. also is it important that the research be in any particular field?

thanks in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
nicedoc said:
do people have time to do research in med. school?

Students do research for a year a Duke. I don't know about other instutions.

gerido,

Are you implying that they have to do it as a requirement of some sort?

alhkim said:
research itself is a minor factor for residency selection, even at the most academic places. it becomes a very important factor for fellowships. grades (clinical>preclinical), step I>II scores are the two critical factors.

the only time where research is important is if you are interested in the research track/fast-track/physician scientist training program, where this would train you to be an academic physician with a research focused career. search the MD/PhD forum for more info.

You won't have step II scored by the time you apply for residency, right?

i believe both Duke and Yale have research requirements.

MB in SD said:
gerido,

Are you implying that they have to do it as a requirement of some sort?