research important in matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajneel1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you folks do research to make yourself competitive for anesthesiology? research is important for certain competitive fields but is it important for anesthesiology? what extracurriculars (maybe other than research) helped? Is California hard to match in? any other advice in making yourself competitive for anesthesiology???? thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

During my interviews, at least half of the interviewers discussed my reserch with me. I think it helps distinguish someone who just decided on the field at the last moment vs a person who put in months to years performing anesthesiology research. The research intensive residencies like Pitt really liked my research and the nonresearch intensive places were still interested since not many of their residents did research.

Anesthesiology is getting more competitive all around, but I think almost any residency is more competitive in CA.

Besides my research, no one really cared about the free health care clinics or my AMA officer position. Extracurriculars were not highly touted.

Good luck!
:clap:

Dude, take a chill pill; its not rocket science.

maybe it is similar to rocket science....