Research for Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molly Maquire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

I'm not doing IM, but I've always wanted to ask this question. Where does an IM resident find the time to do the substaintial research required to get a fellowship such as Cards or Heme/Onc?

I can't believe anyone would be able to do this during intern year, especially at those places where you typically carry 12 patients. You get more time in second year, but that's when you have to apply. I guess third year would be useless for application purposes. Do most successful applicants find it necessary to take a year or two off?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Molly Maquire said:
HI,

I'm not doing IM, but I've always wanted to ask this question. Where does an IM resident find the time to do the substaintial research required to get a fellowship such as Cards or Heme/Onc?

I can't believe anyone would be able to do this during intern year, especially at those places where you typically carry 12 patients. You get more time in second year, but that's when you have to apply. I guess third year would be useless for application purposes. Do most successful applicants find it necessary to take a year or two off?

Just curious.

you don't really do substantive research as a resident. You make a good faith effort and get your name on a paper. It does require going above and beyond. That eats what little free time you have. Interns don't do research. They just try and survive. You can always take a year or two off before residency or after to get in some research.

sometimes electives.