Research during MS1 and MS2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Blood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering medical school in a few months and was wondering how to get involved with research that:
1) I can pursue early
2) Has a > chance of going somewhere/pub/present/etc.
3) Flexible time requirements

Are case reports a viable option MS1 or is this more of a 3rd year thing?

As a little bit of background:
--I've done some bench work as an undergrad with some success, but don't have an interest pursuing it long term as it's a major time sink and many times not fruitful.
--I'm not gunning for anything in particular, but from past experiences I'm interested in a few fields, all competitive, and all research heavy now a days for a good match. (i.e. Rad Onc., Neurosurg., General Surg.)

Once I decide on a school, should I just cold email an adviser in that field and ask if I can shadow and then broach the subject of current projects?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are going to do research it would be better to do it somewhere that allows a longer time committment over the course of medical school to maximize effectiveness. Case reports are available at all levels. Once you get to med school, interacting with various labs, attendings, or (in research heavy fields) residents can lead to possible opportunities. The best way to get a steady stream of work is to work hard and fast on anythign given to you. The reward for good work is more work.

Reactions: 1 user
Case reports are interesting, and count as publications, and might show someone your writing ability, but for what many residency program directors it doesn't quite count as high as regular research.

If you author a regular research paper, that shows that you were involved in a research project. Something that took a lot of your time, and they know that for everything that did get published you were probably working on three other things that didn't get published. It shows long-term commitment to a field, initiative, planning, time management... all things that bode well for someone they're considering as a residency applicant.

But case reports... someone walks into the ED with a 3 week history of malaise and you figure out it's their gizzard acting up so you cut it out and they feel better? Well, good for you for making them feel better, but aside from demonstrating your medical knowledge by recognizing a fairly rare condition (gizzarditis) it doesn't really demonstrate those other qualities that I mentioned.

Think of it this way: How many big-name physicians have made a career on case reports? A handful. How many have made a career on bench research? Thousands.

Okay, so what next. Yes, you should cold email people. That shows initiative. Strong work.

But don't ever ask to shadow in medical school. Shadowing is for pre-meds. If you want to do research, say "I'd like to get experience in research. Do you have any projects that could use another person?" If you want to work with a doc in their clinic, say "Can I start by taking a history?" If you want to be in the operating room, say "Can I scrub in?" Even as a first year they might let you hold a retractor or cut the sutures (the thought alone puts me to sleep, but that's me).

That doesn't mean that no one will ever put you in a shadowing role, they will. But just don't ask to shadow :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, that was a poor choice of words. Thanks for the advice guys!