Incoming MS1 - when to contact PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted573262

I will be an MS1 next fall. In a fortunate situation to know that the school that I will be attending. I have done some research and identified a PI that I would like to do research for during my first two years. Really appreciate research - so I will probably go for summer stipend support as well. Is it too soon to email the PI now? I figure I will try to set up a meeting to discuss my previous research, how this relates to the research he conducts, and what projects he may have available.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, absolutely not too soon. Thought you may not be able to do much of anything until you're affiliated with the school (assuming it's not your undergrad institution), most PIs I know would appreciate hearing from you sooner rather than later -- your preclerkship years fly by, so if you want to conduct a meaningful project it's best to start early! Have some concrete ideas in mind and make sure you get your expectations clearly communicated.

At the worst, they might ask you to postpone meeting until school starts and/or once you get a handle on medical school academics. Research is not something everyone can handle on top of the academic load of medical school (and most PIs I know have had medical students drop their research work/underperform because they underestimated how much time they would need for school).

Last edited:
Not too soon - I contacted someone at the school I'll be attending, met with them in person, and came up with the topic we both have interest in pursuing. We just submitted to the IRB so that we can be ready to start as soon as I moved to the area/begin school with at least most of the background work already completed.