Research during M3/M4 to reduce necessary research during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cremaster reflex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have posted here before and everyone was extremely helpful.

I am a rising M4 and as of now I am planning on doing internal medicine --> heme/onc. By the time I graduate medical school I will have ~10 rad onc, nutrition, + onc publications from medical school. During M4 year I will likely have substantial free time and was thinking of adding a couple research months to work with a big time medical oncologist at my institution with the hopes of publishing a couple papers towards the tail end of M4 or early intern year. I know during intern year I will be excruciatingly busy with clinical responsibilities and will probably not be too exhausted to do any meaningful research. I would like to try to avoid burning myself out as much as possible during residency. My questions:

1. Is this a reasonable approach to reduce or eliminate the need to do onc research during residency?
2. How heavily will heme/onc program directors weigh research published during med school or early intern year when it is clear it was from medical school?
3. How much does the rad onc research help, if at all?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The research you have now is more than sufficient. The reason to do more research during residency is to get in good with an attending and get a great fellowship LOR.

Cool, that makes sense. Thank you