Research during fellowship, is it required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year fellow in a pretty academically-driven program. The program essentially gives us several months in our first year and the majority of our second and third years of fellowship for research. Many of the prior fellows have gone on to academic careers. However, that is not me. I am pretty set on doing community-based private practice in the future and would rather spend the majority of my latter years of fellowship in clinic instead of behind a bench or computer doing chart review. Would this be a hindrance when I apply to private practices? I can't imagine my PD would be pleased with my decision to do more clinic with minimal research. Do private practices care if I did research during fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I'd say a fair amount of fellows at academic programs, even the "top" ones (whichever ones they may be) end up going into private practice. In the classes above/below me at my program, we had people go into PP, industry, and academia. For the most part if you are doing a more clinical research project, you'd generally have more clinic time anyway (it was 1.5-2 days in my program). If you are a lab-based fellow then you generally have a half day... so from that perspective it wouldn't make much sense to do a lab-based project if you're set on private practice

Members don't see this ad :)
I do recall GME verbiage RE “research/scholarship” as a box to be checked off during formal six-month evals with my program directors.

I do recall GME verbiage RE “research/scholarship” as a box to be checked off during formal six-month evals with my program directors.
But that wasn't the question.

You're required to have some kind of research to finish both IM residency and Hem/Onc fellowship. But how relevant that is to your future attending opportunities is extremely variable.