research and rural medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjkai

Reaction score
Hi SDN! Applying to multiple rural track programs for med school right now and had a few quick questions--are there any opportunities to combine research with a career in rural medicine? I grew up & went to college in rural areas, so I'd really love to have a future career where I can address disparities in rural healthcare. However, a big part of my resume is research-centered (using AI/telehealth/big data to improve care for underserved communities)--I don't know if I should de-emphasize my research in my essays because I'm worried that my research will make it seem like I'm not a good mission fit? Or if there even would be opportunities to continue research as a rural doctor.

TLDR: Does anyone know whether there are ways to combine rural medicine & research? Should I spend less space on my app talking about research if I'm applying to a rural track?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN! Applying to multiple rural track programs for med school right now and had a few quick questions--are there any opportunities to combine research with a career in rural medicine? I grew up & went to college in rural areas, so I'd really love to have a future career where I can address disparities in rural healthcare. However, a big part of my resume is research-centered (using AI/telehealth/big data to improve care for underserved communities)--I don't know if I should de-emphasize my research in my essays because I'm worried that my research will make it seem like I'm not a good mission fit? Or if there even would be opportunities to continue research as a rural doctor.

TLDR: Does anyone know whether there are ways to combine rural medicine & research? Should I spend less space on my app talking about research if I'm applying to a rural track?
Yes, there is such a thing as community health research. Network with faculty at the schools that are doing things that you are interested in. Telehealth is part of the discussion, and research showing its effectiveness is definitely a hot topic.

Reactions: 1 users