Research and Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LateBl00meR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing a document from the National Residency Matching Program and noticed that the majority of US seniors matching into neuro surgery had 5 or more publications to their name. When does one find the time to complete all of this research? I should have prefaced this by saying that I'm a first year student with an internship for neuroimaging research this summer, of which I would be the first author of any publications - but still, that would leave me with just one paper in my name.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was browsing a document from the National Residency Matching Program and noticed that the majority of US seniors matching into neuro surgery had 5 or more publications to their name. When does one find the time to complete all of this research? I should have prefaced this by saying that I'm a first year student with an internship for neuroimaging research this summer, of which I would be the first author of any publications - but still, that would leave me with just one paper in my name.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Publications in the NRMP report = publications, posters, and abstracts.

Say your summer research puts out a paper. You then submit those results as an abstract to a national conference, and maybe present a poster there. There, you just got three. Then during third year or a research elective you help a resident with a chart review study and put out a case report. There's your five publications.

Thanks doctwoB... I didn't think of it that way.

Publications in the NRMP report = publications, posters, and abstracts.

Say your summer research puts out a paper. You then submit those results as an abstract to a national conference, and maybe present a poster there. There, you just got three. Then during third year or a research elective you help a resident with a chart review study and put out a case report. There's your five publications.

It's kind of funny honestly, according to the NRMP I have 8 publications as a 2nd year medical student. Only one of them is an actual paper, the rest of them are abstracts and posters (mostly based on that one paper!).

Also, I would beware the hope of publishing from one summer's research.