Is it typical for MD/PhD applicants to have publications with many citations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someqsaboutstuff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at academic neurosurgery residencies that send a good amount of their alumni to faculty positions at R1s, and I am noticing that the vast majority of MD/PhD residents managed to get published in either really top journals or go on to get at the very minimum 30 citations for their work (good number had 100s of citations).

If one were a PhD student - even at the most elite instutions - getting 5 CNS/Neuron publications and 100s of citations and an h-index close to 10 is laughable benchmark. It's not even ambitious - if a G1 PhD student told someone that was their goal, people would just roll their eyes. While the publication success definitely has to do with being in the right environment, I'm a bit surprised that the competition is this fierce. Perhaps I'm overlooking something? It would be great if anyone who is at/trained at an academic residency could comment on how the research CV is reviewed. Does it really come down to IF and citation count?

I should also note that I've been told for a long time that one really shouldn't focus on publication metrics as a MD/PhD student. Instead mentorship, learning to execute a project, and learning to write well are far more important. However, if metrics are what the competition demands, then I suppose one doesn't really have a choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking at academic neurosurgery residencies that send a good amount of their alumni to faculty positions at R1s, and I am noticing that the vast majority of MD/PhD residents managed to get published in either really top journals or go on to get at the very minimum 30 citations for their work (good number had 100s of citations).

If one were a PhD student - even at the most elite instutions - getting 5 CNS/Neuron publications and 100s of citations and an h-index close to 10 is laughable benchmark. It's not even ambitious - if a G1 PhD student told someone that was their goal, people would just roll their eyes. While the publication success definitely has to do with being in the right environment, I'm a bit surprised that the competition is this fierce. Perhaps I'm overlooking something? It would be great if anyone who is at/trained at an academic residency could comment on how the research CV is reviewed. Does it really come down to IF and citation count?

I should also note that I've been told for a long time that one really shouldn't focus on publication metrics as a MD/PhD student. Instead mentorship, learning to execute a project, and learning to write well are far more important. However, if metrics are what the competition demands, then I suppose one doesn't really have a choice.
It is just the competitive nature of neurosurgery. We attract the second highest number of MD/PhDs after radiation oncology, and the expected research output of the average applicant is extremely high. Among successful MD/PhD applicants seeking to secure a spot at a top tier academic programs, it is very common to have published in CNS journals or major subjournal. However, I would not say that anyone at the program is looking up the citation count or h index at the time of application review, but having high profile first author papers will catch people's attention. Like you point out, it is very difficult to predict if you will be able to produce a paper of this caliber during grad school, so oftentimes applicants hedge this risk by having a decent number of basic science or clinical side projects that will yield publication by the time of application.

It is just the competitive nature of neurosurgery. We attract the second highest number of MD/PhDs after radiation oncology, and the expected research output of the average applicant is extremely high. Among successful MD/PhD applicants seeking to secure a spot at a top tier academic programs, it is very common to have published in CNS journals or major subjournal. However, I would not say that anyone at the program is looking up the citation count or h index at the time of application review, but having high profile first author papers will catch people's attention. Like you point out, it is very difficult to predict if you will be able to produce a paper of this caliber during grad school, so oftentimes applicants hedge this risk by having a decent number of basic science or clinical side projects that will yield publication by the time of application.
Fair enough. One shouldn't expect the top programs for one of the most competitive residencies to be a cake walk for acceptance.