Research and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing some of the more competitive residencies (rad, ortho, etc.) and was wondering which of these specialties requires research to be considered favorably? Furthermore, I was curious about the balance between school and research. Can any current MS comment on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MS3 here pursuing Ortho. Research is basically a requirement. Your first step is doing well on the USMLE, and so you have to make sure you balance your work with that goal in mind. Afterwards, you can dedicate some more time to it.

MS3 here pursuing Ortho. Research is basically a requirement. Your first step is doing well on the USMLE, and so you have to make sure you balance your work with that goal in mind. Afterwards, you can dedicate some more time to it.
Do you find it difficult to work around rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the really competitive specialties, research is mandatory. For the less competitive ones, it's a bonus. I'm currently trying to get as much research as possible done in the summer between M1 and M2. Stuff like chart reviews where you have a lot of flexibility with time can be done throughout the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you find it difficult to work around rotations?
Not personally, and I have an additional project I'm working on (trying to make a USMLE video course). However it's highly person dependent and you should start slowly in your MS1 and see what workload you can handle. Again, STEP1 comes first.

Reactions: 1 user