Research and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sukata34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can researching at a med school lead you to being admitted there? Can you research at another med school other than the one you attend? How long do they last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a 3.7, 510 MCAT, good ECs, and research will lead you to being admitted there

Reactions: 1 users
Getting a 3.7, 510 MCAT, good ECs, and research will lead you to being admitted there

Bioboy your talking about research at the undergraduate level. I'm talking about research at the medical school. And you didn't answer all my questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm sorry. I don't know much about medical school research other than second-hand info. But I do believe that you can do research at another school if there is a reason to do so. As far as time commitment, most med students recommend starting after the first semester so that you can get a feel for the amount of material before jumping into more things. Then would continue research through the summer and into second year. During third year it would be hard to do research because you will be much busier on the wards and stuff, but I think it is doable.

This is all regurgitated information, so take it with a grain of salt. I do not have experience with this quite yet. Hopefully some med students/adcoms can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Researching at a med school while you're an undergrad or post-bacc isn't going to give you a significant advantage in being admitted there over someone else who did research somewhere else and was just as productive. It might help to have a letter from your PI at that school, who members of the committee might know and therefore trust, but the advantage of that cannot be quantified and is likely very small.

You can research at another med school than the one you attend, but why would you do that? Does your med school not have the research that you want to do? Researching at another med school is more of a time commitment since you have to travel to the other school unless you're in a big city where med school campuses aren't that far from each other (it's a hassle even going from the Columbia to the Cornell campus).

Can researching at a med school lead you to being admitted there? Can you research at another med school other than the one you attend? How long do they last?

In and of itself? No.

It's possible. If you were a student at, say, Cornell, but wanted to research at NYU, that's doable. One of my recent grads did a research elective at a Really Top School in the SE, this past year.

One of my recent grads did a research elective at a Really Top School in the SE, this past year.

How does that work exactly? Did he have to apply to do this? Did it delay his graduation?