Reneging on a Job Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealGandalf

Reaction score
Wanted to get the community's thoughts on how best to handle this situation:

Am a senior resident and accepted a job offer with a private group about a month ago. It's an excellent job and a very nice group of people. Negotiation process was above board the whole time. I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to join their practice, and after negotiating an modest increase in salary, signed a non-binding letter of intent.

However, just recently another institution offered me essentially my dream job. By itself, that may not have been enough to sway me, but more importantly, it keeps my family in the same city so my significant other doesn't have to leave their job (which they love) and we remain close to (aging) relatives. For all of these reasons, I have decided to accept this position.

I feel fortunate to have had to choose between two excellent career options. However, I need to let the other practice know that I'm going to be rescinding my acceptance. Obviously this is going to be a major frustration for them as they'll have to restart their recruitment process. Is there any way to do this without completely burning that bridge?

Members don't see this ad.

Am a senior resident and accepted a job offer with a private group about a month ago. It's an excellent job and a very nice group of people. Negotiation process was above board the whole time. I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to join their practice, and after negotiating an modest increase in salary, signed a non-binding letter of intent.

However, just recently another institution offered me essentially my dream job. By itself, that may not have been enough to sway me, but more importantly, it keeps my family in the same city so my significant other doesn't have to leave their job (which they love) and we remain close to (aging) relatives. For all of these reasons, I have decided to accept this position.

I feel fortunate to have had to choose between two excellent career options. However, I need to let the other practice know that I'm going to be rescinding my acceptance. Obviously this is going to be a major frustration for them as they'll have to restart their recruitment process. Is there any way to do this without completely burning that bridge?
No, not really, but you need to do what you need to do...explain to them that while you appreciate the chance to work with them, an opportunity came up that allows you to stay near family and that you are not going to take the job with them. Most people should understand that...I’m sure they had some candidates that they interviewed and can now offer up to them.

Reactions: 4 users

I wouldn't sweat it. I did this exactly. I was very torn between two positions - i ended up picking one and letting the private group know, to then change my mind and accept another offer, which ultimately ended up being the best possible choice i could have made career wise on multiple levels. so just be polite, let them know how much you appreciate the offer but that unfortunately you'll be unable to take it after all and let them know sooner rrather than later - i did and let the group know that i was certain that they could now open it up to some other great candidate. im sure most reasonable people would understand. just be nice and honest about it.

I agree, you’re probably gonna burn that bridge. But you also can’t really do anything differently. Gotta do what’s right for you and your family, so even while that bridge may be burned they should at least understand.

The bridge is burned but life goes on. Just tell them as soon as you can and remember this when the shoe is on the other foot

Reactions: 1 user