Remove label before recycling.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Amazon.

You deliver cool things to my doorstep. A lot of things that I need for work. Things like socks, shoes, caffeine, headlamps, whatever.

You say that you're an environmentally conscientious company. That's cool. I'm an environmentally hyperaware person. I grew up watching Captain Planet cartoons and stuff, too. At the very least, I don't want any more waste polluting my mountain bike trails, waterways, etc. Cool, bro. It's almost like you have a conscience. We can talk about your labor abuses later; let's focus on this for now.

You send me my things in plastic bags that are recyclable. You're even cool enough to say "remove paper label before recycling".

SO, DON'T MAKE THE LABEL IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE WITHOUT LEAVING THE PAPER-BACK ON.

This way, I can do the thing that you tell me to, so I can do the thing that I want to do.

Don't give me this nonsense about "well, that's the way it-". Bogus. Materials science is well-beyond that.

Eff off,

RustedFox.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t put the huge, unremovable sticky label across the functional part of my glass item, like the center of my mirror.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t put the huge, unremovable sticky label across the functional part of my glass item, like the center of my mirror.

I mean, if its on a mirror - you have acetone, Goo Gone, a razor, and other products to quickly do the job.
Here I am, trying to delicately and slowly peel back a label from a plastic bag; only to get about halfway done before *RRRIPP*.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Amazon.

You deliver cool things to my doorstep. A lot of things that I need for work. Things like socks, shoes, caffeine, headlamps, whatever.

You say that you're an environmentally conscientious company. That's cool. I'm an environmentally hyperaware person. I grew up watching Captain Planet cartoons and stuff, too. At the very least, I don't want any more waste polluting my mountain bike trails, waterways, etc. Cool, bro. It's almost like you have a conscience. We can talk about your labor abuses later; let's focus on this for now.

You send me my things in plastic bags that are recyclable. You're even cool enough to say "remove paper label before recycling".

SO, DON'T MAKE THE LABEL IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE WITHOUT LEAVING THE PAPER-BACK ON.

This way, I can do the thing that you tell me to, so I can do the thing that I want to do.

Don't give me this nonsense about "well, that's the way it-". Bogus. Materials science is well-beyond that.

Eff off,

RustedFox.
Ummm…

You should really google Amazon pollution.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, if its on a mirror - you have acetone, Goo Gone, a razor, and other products to quickly do the job.
Here I am, trying to delicately and slowly peel back a label from a plastic bag; only to get about halfway done before *RRRIPP*.

true. but when we have easily removable, residue free options, there’s just no reason for it.

Hey, Amazon.

Eff off,

RustedFox.

If it makes you feel any better (worse), those plastic bags are almost certainly not being recycled, label or not.

The plastics with the highest likelihood of being recycled (based on practicality) are those with recycling codes 1 and 2, and even those are reprocessed at disappointingly low rates.

The environmentally-friendly thing for companies to do is to avoid plastic packaging as much as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you only buy your products from allbirds and greentoys so everything you own is from recycled milk cartons? kudos.

Let’s be honest—it’s all greenwashing BS.

This is something that bothers me about modern discourse - we accept false dichotomies as rationale to not have to do hard things.

Recycling and composting are important components of reducing man made waste. They are also imperfect, overestimated in their benefit by many (many of whom stand to profit off your goodwill), and not as effective as more austere measures such as home-growing your chickens/eggs and using a burlap sack to get the veggies you can't grow on your own from a CSA. But the fact that somethings are more impactful than others doesn't mean you must either "buy your products from allbirds and greentoys so everything you own is from recycled milk cartons" or be just as bad as my parents who have AAA batteries shipped overnight from Amazon "because we have Prime anyway".

Yes, be a critical thinker and don't assume that everything presented as "green" is actually so. But when thinking critically slips into unreflective skepticism and is used to defend a "f^ck it" attitude, you aren't actually being critical. You're rationalizing your laziness.

Reactions: 4 users
The real tragedy is the sheer amount of crap that is made just to be thrown out right away. All the halloween stuff and thanksgiving stuff that we just went through are all now rotting away in huge garbage dumps. Brand new stuff that is deemed undesirable just because of the timing.

The real tragedy is the sheer amount of crap that is made just to be thrown out right away. All the halloween stuff and thanksgiving stuff that we just went through are all now rotting away in huge garbage dumps. Brand new stuff that is deemed undesirable just because of the timing.
Yes!

Buy expensive stuff and save money instead - I'll wear my 6 year old Blundstones and 8 year old Patagonia vest in celebration of this principle.