Filling gap before contract starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful22213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a contract signed now (thankfully) but with a start date a few months after graduating residency. Seems hard to justify getting onboarded for an ED if i'm only gonna be there so short term. Any suggestions on short term work for that gap? Everyone has told me to vacation/relax but loans and rent wont pay itself...

Members don't see this ad.

Can you get credentials locally and start before residency ends? Alternatively get PRN credentials where you are moving to, work a bunch of shifts for the first few months and then work there once a month after your other job starts to keep options open

Just take the time off, live life, travel and enjoy the things before the grind of work starts again

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally, you can land a part-time gig at another hospital in your area. This is becoming more and more difficult given the job market. Other options would include

1) any privately owned Freestanding EDs if you have them in your state, where you can get credentialed very quickly, and which tend to be easier in terms of workload.
2) Urgent care gigs to tie you over until you start your job.
3) Telemedicine

The nice thing about all those options is that if you avail yourself of them, you can continue that while doing your full time gig once it starts and add additional layers of financial/job security.

I was in the same situation right out of residency. I picked up 10 locums shifts in another part of the state. It worked out well. I made some much needed money, and got my feet wet as an attending at a small shop before diving in at my main gig. Good luck.