Reliability of Getting Residency in Area of Choice

DeiReus

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post on this forum, and this does seem the appropriate place to ask my question.

My question is how much can I rely on my wife to get a residency in the city of her choice?

Here are the details and the "why" behind the question. My wife is a MS1 at BCM currently and I am graduating this semester and looking at law school for next year. If I were to go this year, we would both graduate at the same time and both be looking for our jobs/residency simultaneously and this wouldn't be that bad; except for the crushing 150k debt I would face if I went to law school in Houston where we currently are. I have been offered a much more feasible tuition price from the law school in Ft. Worth however, but I can wait to go there for a few years to support my wife through this hard time. This of course infers that doing LDR is off the table for us, it just won't work. I don't mind deferring my dream for three years to avoid debt and support the wife, (she already has enough debt!) but I would rather go into monster debt together than risk her not getting a residency because she applied too narrowly for my sake.

I know residencies are mostly contingent on STEP scores, or whatever the term may be (sorry), but does her having roots in the city, being a URM, being interested in pediatrics, and going to a top program improve the odds of this enough that I can wait to go my professional school with near certainty; or would this be a recipe for disaster for the both of us and I would be better off proceeding with jumping off the debt cliff with the other lemmings?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, this is my first post on this forum, and this does seem the appropriate place to ask my question.

My question is how much can I rely on my wife to get a residency in the city of her choice?

Here are the details and the "why" behind the question. My wife is a MS1 at BCM currently and I am graduating this semester and looking at law school for next year. If I were to go this year, we would both graduate at the same time and both be looking for our jobs/residency simultaneously and this wouldn't be that bad; except for the crushing 150k debt I would face if I went to law school in Houston where we currently are. I have been offered a much more feasible tuition price from the law school in Ft. Worth however, but I can wait to go there for a few years to support my wife through this hard time. This of course infers that doing LDR is off the table for us, it just won't work. I don't mind deferring my dream for three years to avoid debt and support the wife, (she already has enough debt!) but I would rather go into monster debt together than risk her not getting a residency because she applied too narrowly for my sake.

I know residencies are mostly contingent on STEP scores, or whatever the term may be (sorry), but does her having roots in the city, being a URM, being interested in pediatrics, and going to a top program improve the odds of this enough that I can wait to go my professional school with near certainty; or would this be a recipe for disaster for the both of us and I would be better off proceeding with jumping off the debt cliff with the other lemmings?

Any and all input is appreciated!

It depends on a lot of factors.

One of the biggest factors is specialty choice. If she decides to do primary care (which generally implies family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics), and she is a decent student with reasonable interpersonal skills, she will almost certainly get whatever residency she wants. Especially if she has a compelling reason to be in a particular location.

If, however, she decides to do something more competitive, such as neurosurgery, radiology, anesthesiology, etc., then she will have to apply much more broadly.